Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks mate very helpfull.
Got any pic of yours or your brothers setups?

No photos of his although he is a member here but I don't think he comes on much. I'll ask him.

I will get some in the next few days of my main tank and the new jardini once I pick it up. I'm pretty slack when it comes to photography which is a shame as I had a lovely shoal of decent sized jungle perch that I never got around to photographing and now they're dead after a pump failure while I was away for a few days.

I'm pritty slack my self, it's a shame to because I had some good setups in the past, i'm geting a new camera for christmas i'm paying it off, then I might get some good shot little to late.
My best setup was a tidal tank I made years ago that was pritty good, specialy when the tide changed.

Pretty sure red tail cats are now on the noxious list federally. Doesn't mean you won't be able to find one but be warned if you are caught with one the fines are ridiculous.
Besides they grow far too big for anything but a pool.
Sorry butters didn't want to be rude but i'm not going to name this persons shop on a public thread after you put a coment like that up, if something hapend i'd feel responsable and it's none of my bisness.

Last edited:
Fair enough. If they are in a shop though you would think they were on public view anyway.
I know a number of shops did have them and some owners received paperwork saying they could keep their animals until the death of that animal. They couldnt be sold or traded though.

Don't even bother with a redtail catfish until you actually have their end tank ready to go. Their growth rate is phenomenal. If fed properly and water changes kept up (something like 80% 2-3 times a week) they will outstrip anything you've ever seen before.

As mentioned, the aussie lungs are CITES listed but can be bought captive bred and chipped. My brother has two that are a couple of years old now and are a bit over 2 foot long. They were being legally exported at one point. I know the farm changed hands a couple of years ago and am not sure what's happened since. I do know that the fry are a complete bastard to get feeding and it took a lot of trial and error to successfully captive breed them.

Wouldn't put them with rays. They're as blind as and once they get the scent of food will track it down relentlessly. You'll have rays with chunks missing before you know it.

And to whoever said they wanted a pacu - I'm pretty sure they are on the noxious list (Colossoma spp)

Ah thanks for all that, new to natives and all these big boys. I have an 8x2x2 ready to go for the RTC, should last me a year, the best growth rate recorded on MFK was 2.5 ft within the year with daily water changes and 3 feedings a day.

As for the pacu I dont understand how this all works? I was pretty sure gaint gouris are on the list too? yet many people keep them fine. I just know of a shop with a 3ft pacu stuck in a 4ft tank so always been keen re homing him once the RTC gets some size.

Lung fish sound like eels, horrible eye sight but very good smell, cant wait for my eel to grow also 2m full grown !

as for the grey list didnt that even have guppys on it at one time and lots of sa/ca cichlids?

my bad guppys are banned lol, well theres 100000s of them going around :S cant seem to find pacus on the list also.

Tomeurus gracilis Guppy

Last edited:
Anyone been fishing in Hazelwood pondage, Victoria.. Apparently there's a heap of mix cichlid species in there, check it out.

[video=youtube_share;vktQVyO8Rps]http://youtu.be/vktQVyO8Rps[/video]

Sounds good venomous1111 could you let me know what the name of it when you get it.

Ended up getting two from him..

Nature Aquarium world by Takashi Amano

Aquarium plant paradise by Takashi Amano

Misses called us bloody idiots lol :(*

I think its fair 1 year and a bit. rays are also on the list but end of the year I think!

IMG-20120310-00089.jpg

IMG_51961.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

To make up for all the chit chat ;D

Nice Terror!

Last edited:
yeah some kids dumped them in there a few years back, the reactors for the plant heat the water up so they thrived in there. this is why I find buying red devils so hard, if they are from hazel wood chances are they have 100s of pests living in them I dont want in my water so always have to be careful.

Thanks his my unco green terror ;) nqr gt hehe

RTC and GG are not on the Noxious list yet. You can get a "3 year" permit to keep them before they go on as well. GG wont go on but RTCs will. I will get a permit to keep mine.

285450_133749086713277_100002345580570_246615_2567356_n.jpg

yeah some kids dumped them in there a few years back, the reactors for the plant heat the water up so they thrived in there. this is why I find buying red devils so hard, if they are from hazel wood chances are they have 100s of pests living in them I dont want in my water so always have to be careful.

Thanks his my unco green terror ;) nqr gt hehe

True I was checking out the kids profile that posted it and looks like they went straight in the tank lol.. It's a bit like the power station down at Port Augusta where they catch 30kg+ kingfish around the outlets of the power station.

nqr gt?

woo thats a nice looking one !the gills are pushed out unlike some we get here with bumped in gills. how big is he Scleropages? look 2-3ft.

NQR gt = not quite right gt, see his gills are pushed in and his tail is all bent + fins, still a great fish but not one to breed as his a dub in a sense, with lots of inbreeding I could remove the deform possibly but its not worth it.

woo thats a nice looking one !the gills are pushed out unlike some we get here with bumped in gills. how big is he Scleropages? look 2-3ft.

NQR gt = not quite right gt, see his gills are pushed in and his tail is all bent + fins, still a great fish but not one to breed as his a dub in a sense, with lots of inbreeding I could remove the deform possibly but its not worth it.

S/he's around 80cm atm .. I have seen a few with stuffed gills around... poor fish ( High NO2 and NO3 cause that)

Better pic...

5bb2cbbf.jpg

8c2ee815.jpg

Last edited:
Used to catch convicts, red devils and tiger oscars at hazelwood for croc food

wow man, amazing rtc. prefect looking. hardly see any like that down here. I take it football thickness?

I used to be right into my fish but moved to Sydney and a small apartment so no longer have the space for so many tanks :(

Here's some pics of old tanks and fish...

4-6.jpg

Picture7642-1.jpg

c-5.jpg

gjgjg.jpg

Picture553-2.jpg

ijij.jpg

male-1.jpg

CallochromisPluerospillus.jpg

Picture412-1.jpg

Picture1015.jpg

This is the only fish I have now :)

DSC_0779.jpg

It's a flowerhorn, fish version of a jag lol.

He doesn't have anything in his tank cos he likes to break things.
Everything I put in there was shredded and pulled apart so now he has a nice blue feature wall and that's it lol.

There is a catfish in there too that he has a love hate relationship with...

I used to have a large Oscar like that, I went through about 3 heaters then I put some irigation tube around it, he used to
pick up river rocks and take them across the tank.

Ha ha. I've tried keeping small painted crayfish in the sw tank but they are obsessed with rearanging everything and they're never satisfied!

When I was a kid I used to go to a creek in Seven Hills Brisbane that had Rosy Barbs and Fantail Guppys, I dont know
how they used to servive the winter but they did.
And there are heaps of coloured Platys in Forest Lake and the dreded talapia you can walk around it and watch them
nesting.
Any body no of any more fish and spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back