Arafura file snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smacdonald

Reaction score
Hi all,

I photographed a friend's Arafura file snakes the other day. Unfortunately I didn't do a particularly good job. I needed some clearer water and a fish tank that wasn't scratched. Does anyone else have some pics of this bizarre species?

Stewart

Captive Arafura file snake (Acrochordus arafurae)

Nice pics! I especially like the last one.

Great pics, will try to get hold of some pics of a mates file snake in Darwin. Unusual but pretty snakes.

Hi Stewart,

Some thing like this????

Acrochordusarafurae3copy.jpg

Cheers,
Scott

i havent got any good photos here is one ....

Attachments

• fura.JPG
    fura.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 97
Hi all,

I photographed a friend's Arafura file snakes the other day. Unfortunately I didn't do a particularly good job. I needed some clearer water and a fish tank that wasn't scratched. Does anyone else have some pics of this bizarre species?

Stewart

Captive Arafura file snake (Acrochordus arafurae)

Far from the truth Stu, good photo's mate! keep them comming when you get the chance to take some more! cheers, Ben

Has anyone got a spare file snake? am very interested in one. P.M me if you have one.
Thanks

They are freeky looking, I never quite liked the look of file snakes, although they are very nice to watch swimming around. But they have a face only a mother could love once they are adult and have those beady little eye things.

Hey Stewart,

snorkling at weipa...not quite mate...thats full of too many not so nice critters....as for arafura sea...thats a arafurae..not granulatus .

In front of a fish tank..right place right time...part of a yawning sequence

Cheers,
Scott

They are a staple diet to the locals up here, but luckily they are in high numbers up here

Attachments

• File1.JPG
    File1.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 81
  • file2.JPG
    file2.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 94
Stew,

Nice shots mate...if you want some more you can take some pics of ours - they are in an unscratched tank that's painstakingly landscaped by the devoted missus.

What sort of set up do you need for these critters. I actually almost brought one but thankfully common sense prevailed and i realised i dont know enough about em to be buying one

Great pics as always Stewart :)

I wouldn't mind finding out what kind of setup they need either - I think they look cool

What sort of set up do you need for these critters. I actually almost brought one but thankfully common sense prevailed and i realised i dont know enough about em to be buying one

Brian Barnett tells me that the key to keeping them is keeping the water quality high.

Alas this species has never been on the Victorian schedules so we cannot keep them. There were some kept before the schedules were introduced though.

I am absolutely fascinated by their particularly long and slender tongue. They have (had?) some at Ballarat Wildlife Park. I could spend hours watching them in their tank. Fascinating creatures.

I used to keep them, but I feel the key to keeping them well is t have a set up where you basically don't see them.
Mine would hide in their miriad of hiding spots during the day and only come out to hunt at night.
I kept the water very high in tannin, helps to stop fungal issues and similar to their natural habitat.

wow i was just atlking about file snakes on my lunch break and come back and see this!
they are very interesting but their weird heads make me feel a bit creeped out.
i have never seen one swimming, maybe they look less odd then.

I will do a ph test of my local billabong and let you know .
They do hide all day and feed at night from the ones that I have kept. If you do happen to get one make sure you have a secured lid, they do get out.
Also make sure they can comfortably reach the surface for air.

I've never seen a book or much information on them. Can anyone send me, or link me, to a caresheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back