Are my Green tree frogs breeding ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conner the dragon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey I’m new to green tree frogs
I got 2 not sure on genders but I think they might be breeding.
They don’t make noise but I have noticed one sit on top of the other lately. Could this be a sign of breeding or is this normal?
Honestly I don’t want to breed them
Thanks in advance
15E7CAB0-266F-4A3B-86AE-2A5D22DE2716.jpeg

Frogs have external fertilisation, so if your frogs have had any attempts at breeding, they have been unsuccessful.

When frogs breed, the male will very firmly grasp the female (like a piggy back ride, and he'll be holding on very tightly with his front legs). The female then goes to the water with the male riding on her back, and when they are in the water she releases her eggs and he releases sperm at the same time. It's not like in other animals where fertilisation is internal with the male inseminating the female and then her going on to lay fertile eggs or give birth at a later time.

Green Tree Frogs can have thousands of eggs, you'll see them in the water if they're successfully spawned. If you don't have a large enough body of water they won't ever spawn. If you do get eggs and don't want them, you will probably be able to find someone happy to take all the eggs off your hands.

Frogs have external fertilisation, so if your frogs have had any attempts at breeding, they have been unsuccessful.

When frogs breed, the male will very firmly grasp the female (like a piggy back ride, and he'll be holding on very tightly with his front legs). The female then goes to the water with the male riding on her back, and when they are in the water she releases her eggs and he releases sperm at the same time. It's not like in other animals where fertilisation is internal with the male inseminating the female and then her going on to lay fertile eggs or give birth at a later time.

Green Tree Frogs can have thousands of eggs, you'll see them in the water if they're successfully spawned. If you don't have a large enough body of water they won't ever spawn. If you do get eggs and don't want them, you will probably be able to find someone happy to take all the eggs off your hands.
Thanks I’ll look into separating them.
I tried in google info about green tree frogs breeding to see if they were but couldn’t find what you told me.
I’m not sure of there age I forgot to ask when I bought them. They were young
Thanks for you help

Thanks I’ll look into separating them.
I tried in google info about green tree frogs breeding to see if they were but couldn’t find what you told me.
I’m not sure of there age I forgot to ask when I bought them. They were young
Thanks for you help

If you mean to say you were trying to determine if your frogs are Green Tree Frogs, yes, they 100% are. Litoria caerulea.

If you bought them when they were young and you can remember when you bought them, you'll have a pretty good idea of their age, but they can live a pretty long time and keep breeding for many years.

Check out the section on breeding in this PDF:
https://aszk.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Amphibians.-Green-Tree-Frog-2008BH.pdf

The male holding on to a female prior to breeding is known as amplexus. Depending on their body shape, and how and where they lay their eggs, there are particular positions adopted in amplexus that are characteristic for the species. The most common amplexus position in Australian frogs, in particular the tree frogs, is axillary amplexus. This is where the male grasps the female by the armpits.
[doublepost=1599899577,1599898972][/doublepost]Here is a photo showing amplexus in your species. It comes from an Australian Geographic article with some more info in it.
upload_2020-9-12_16-31-5.png
https://www.australiangeographic.co...018/01/explained-the-weird-world-of-frog-sex/

It is not unusual for tree frogs to just sit on top of each other. As you can see in the following photos there is no grasping of the armpits as there is with amplexus.
upload_2020-9-12_16-32-17.png upload_2020-9-12_16-32-52.png

Latest posts

Back