Are SLR cameras worth the money??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squinty

Reaction score
Im in the market for a new camera cause the one i have is getting on with age. I find that is is hard to take good photos of my animals with. Kinda has a yellow tinge to it.

Is it worth buying an entry level SLR or should i just stick with a point and shoot??

I do enjoy taking nice pictures and wouldnt mind learning more about photography.

I also travel a little bit and enjoy taking lots of photos. (Between 1000 and 1500 per trip)

What cameras do you use??

Cheers

Squid

The one im looking at is the Nikon D3100 with the twin lense kit.

Do you guys take them overseas when you travel ( if you travel). Whats the extra weight like to carry and hold?? I always take a backpack with me and im a big lad so security isnt an issue.

Digital slr are well worth the money. The quality of photo you can take is amazing. They are expensive but worth it.
But it does come down to if you want to learn how to use all the functions on a slr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one im looking at is the Nikon D3100 with the twin lense kit.

Do you guys take them overseas when you travel ( if you travel). Whats the extra weight like to carry and hold?? I always take a backpack with me and im a big lad so security isnt an issue.

Always take slr's as carry on it's big worth risking them getting broken

It also comes down to how much you want to spend. My brother bought a canon 7D the other day I think with a basic lens 3000 to 3500 I can't remember.

Last edited:
im hopeless at reading instruction manuals. I just learn buy using or finding my own way. is this possible with a digital SLR??

and i meant i take a backpack so carrying during the day is not a trouble. i always take anything like that as carry on.

Last edited:
im hopeless at reading instruction manuals. I just learn buy using or finding my own way. is this possible with a digital SLR??

and i meant i take a backpack so carrying during the day is not a trouble. i always take anything like that as carry on.

The best way to learn all the functions on things like that look up the model on YouTube. There will be heaps of reviews and tutorials.

to be honest - it's more dependant on your uses - most point and shoots are awesome and can easily compete with most amateur photographers needs.

The main difference is the fact with a good point and shoot you won't need to carry lenses around with you - and you're always ready for action.

Personally - I'd love both :)

well i bought the mrs an nice olympus point and shoot about a year or so ago. and i have my other olympus point and shoot ive had for about 6 or so years. there is nothing wrong with it, just the photo quality isnt what i want anymore. id like to take some nice shots of my travels and get them blown up.

I was using my step dads Pentax SLR the other weekend in my mums garden for a try and took some wicked Macro type shots of flowers. Turned out really well. I might ask him to bring it to my house so i can take some photos of my animals and see how they turn out.

They are worth it if you appreciate quality, A lot point and shoots do a great job but once you get a few really good shots under your belt you want to see how much better you can do and realise you need a DSLR. But I beleive the bulk of quality not to mention price is in the lenses, Im a canon fan and cant wait to get my hands on a 5Dmk2 with the 24-105 L series lense kit and everyone should have a nice fixed 50mm lense. I have a 400d with a few fixed and IS lenses that will go nicely on a 5D mk2.

From the reviews i have read the Nikon D3100 seems the pick of the bunch for the price. I was looking at one with the view through the LCD screen that is rotateable with a twin lense kit.

Are the twin lense kits worth getting for a starter??

From the reviews i have read the Nikon D3100 seems the pick of the bunch for the price. I was looking at one with the view through the LCD screen that is rotateable with a twin lense kit.

Are the twin lense kits worth getting for a starter??
Yes, but I'd still go the single kit then try get a better quality lens of ebay for a good price. Having said that there are some really good deals around at the moment for the d3100 with the twin kit and you can always sell te lens kit later when you want to upgrade.

Lense kits are an ok place to start, I think you will soon want to upgrade to the quality lenses though. The best Dslr is only as good as the glass in front of it.

awesome

thanks

i gues the mrs better let me spend some money this weekend!

haha

Dont forget to put UV filters on your lenses, they are cheap to replace compared to a scratched lense.

The Sony A33 is probably the most flexible cheap DSLR. Most people new to DSLRs don't realize the canon and nikon models can't autofocus properly when using the LCD to shoot or doing movies. It tends to get overlooked due to Sony initially ignoring the DSLR market years ago.

The Sony A33 is probably the most flexible cheap DSLR. Most people new to DSLRs don't realize the canon and nikon models can't autofocus properly when using the LCD to shoot or doing movies. It tends to get overlooked due to Sony initially ignoring the DSLR market years ago.
Why would you use the LCD to shoot, I'm confused

i wouldnt mind the LCD option as i wear glasses and sometimes it can be a pain

I've recently gone from a Miro Four Thirds to a full DSLR. I love my Nikon D7000, great camera and I learn something new on it everyday.

A mate of mine picked up the Nikon D3100 Twin Lens kit and loves that. I had a play with it shortly after he bought it and thought it was a really good entry level DSLR that takes great shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back