Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there are to many reptiles being bred.
Thats one of the reasons Ive sold up most of my collection.
In the past 3 years, Ive sold up all my BHPs, Womas, Frillies, and even my Albino &Het Olives.
I dont belive people should keep breeding, when there is no room left in the hobby.
We still have a handful of reptiles but atm they are pet only.

I'd have to say yes and no OP. Too many mixed "average" snakes are being flooded yes but there will always be a demand for pure lines, locality lines, morphs etc.

LOL yommy.
Im sure you have seen my collection on here over the years mate.
Before we moved interstate, the count was 9 BHPs ( axanthics, 100% hets and a couple of 66%) 6 Womas, an Albino and 100% het Olive pair, many Albino and Het Darwins, Frillies, Accies, Lacey, Freshie, geckos, ect.
All we have now is a pair of Darwins (Albino & het) on the fence about sellig them off, as Im not real fused about breeding them.
Yet they are high quality pythons.
A Sand Monitor that feeds from my hand, its by far the best reptile Ive owned when it comes to interaction and just how active he/she is.
I would be happy to just have my Sandie, Monitors are the best IMO.

I think the economy coupled with the proposed budget is strangling everything at the moment. A few friends are complaining about slow down in their businesses with 1 even saying that worked dried up the day the budget was announced. Reptile supply might also be hitting its peak but I would think the latter is more the main cause.

I am still very new to the reptile hobby with acquiring 2 sibling Darwin carpets (1 albino for wow factor) in feb this year. I was told from the beginning to start with something easy like a bredli or childrens (bredli most likely to be my next one cause they are so gorgeous) or the many other great beginner breeds all of which I have noticed the great abundance of. I know I cant be the only person new to this hobby that isn't proud to say (when asked) that I have owned them from hatchies. I mean sure maybe 10 years down the track when I have the extensive knowledge and understanding I'd love to get into breeding scene but I would like to think there are many more newbies out there who are just as content as I to start where we are supposed to. :)

P.S snakes rock!

have had some really nice high green Diamonds for sale at 250, a fraction of what some people are asking for the colour......Give up now! am selling a few as presentation animals to local councils and keeping the rest....over It!

I am following this thread with some interest....

When I recently made the decision to attempt some (small) breeding projects it was for my thirst for knowledge, understanding and experience with reptiles. I have an 'almost teenage' boy who has been reptile focused since he was a toddler and joins me on our Herpetology Club field trips etc....The desire to learn and understand these animals is strong between us both. We have a genuine interest and intrigue with the animals.

The thought of making money never entered the equation - having bred purebred animals (mammalian) in a past life and having experience with the continuous money pit that breeding is, my natural instinct was not dollar focused - it never entered my mind. Many don't have this foresight however.

It concerns me when I see keepers nearby 'stocking up' on everything they can so they can breed and go out 'selling' next year and apparently make a fortune.....I know there are going to be a lot of animals going cheap around this area next year as reality sets in - This area doesn't see a huge demand at the best of times and I can't see that changing anytime soon. Fortunately my breeding plans do not involve significant numbers of animals....I can gain as much knowledge producing 2 clutches as I can 10, and have planned to have the capacity to keep them for an extended period if I need to.

Personally, with some breeding experience I can see myself heading off towards the more rare or less kept pure animals like vens etc.....but my python breeding path is my 'schoolground' for learning on my journey....my plans are to produce small numbers because I know I could have to keep them for a while before they find their new homes. I don't thing a lot of others are thinking this way however....

I don't see any thing wrong with breeding a few snakes or lizards as a means to offset operating costs and don't see it as a big money earner. From some posts, not just in this thread I get the feeling that some keepers/breeders try to deter others from breeding so as to illiminate competition. If a glut in the market drops prices it is hard on the breeder but is good for the consumer. There is a wealth of knowledge that can be gained by breeding when done for the right reasons and if it turns into a profitable eneterprise for some then its a bonus. To condemn breeders is to condemn the hobby as without it most of us would be without snakes or lizards. Just as long as we take due care if things don't quite run smooth such as holding onto offspring longer than expected. I expect the market will cycle back round and things will move as before.

its good for people who aren't breeding snakes. Buying snakes will just become easier and cheaper. This suits me fine :)

its a funny scene, no one wants to spend money on anything but they all want something of high value.

you could put a nice looking snake up for sale for $500 and get plenty of inquiries and interest but probably no sale, put the same snake up for $50 and people would think its rubbish and not inquire about it at all

I sold 2 adult pairs of good quality womas 1pr RHD's the other sandfire for $300 the lot, the add ended up above another add for 1 colourless woma for $750 that had at least 10 replys, I only got 2 inquiries one was asking what was wrong with them

its a funny scene, no one wants to spend money on anything but they all want something of high value.

you could put a nice looking snake up for sale for $500 and get plenty of inquiries and interest but probably no sale, put the same snake up for $50 and people would think its rubbish and not inquire about it at all

I sold 2 adult pairs of good quality womas 1pr RHD's the other sandfire for $300 the lot, the add ended up above another add for 1 colourless woma for $750 that had at least 10 replys, I only got 2 inquiries one was asking what was wrong with them

As stupid as that sounds it is so true. I had some pythons up for awhile, I couldn't even attract tyre kickers. Took some fresh pics added 50% to the price and they all sold within a couple of weeks.

Any animals that are selectively bred by humans purely for ascetics end up the same. In search for something unique hundreds of unwanted animals suffer.
How many mutts are bred every year and end up having to be put down by animal welfare society's

As stupid as that sounds it is so true. I had some pythons up for awhile, I couldn't even attract tyre kickers. Took some fresh pics added 50% to the price and they all sold within a couple of weeks.

Same.A few years ago I had a clutch of hypo bredli that I just wanted to move on quickly.Put them up for $150 and the only enquiry I got was from one guy wanting to know if I would lower the price.
A couple of months later I advertised them again,this time for $350 and they sold like hot cakes.

I can't say I've seen any problems with the numbers bred these days as I still move on everything I breed.

"Investment potential" is a funny thing to people looking to make a buck - the more they pay for something the more they think it will make them....

Any animals that are selectively bred by humans purely for ascetics end up the same. In search for something unique hundreds of unwanted animals suffer.
How many mutts are bred every year and end up having to be put down by animal welfare society's

I get what you're saying & I don't want to direct the thread off course but the issue of over population in dogs has been subject to debate. It's widely assumed that there aren't enough humans to accommodate the number of dogs bred annually, I don't see shelters not being able to find suitable homes for a percentage of their animals as concrete proof of that, especially considering registered breeders often have homes found for puppies even before they're conceived.

There are so many variables - quality, suitability, stereotyping, marketing etc so to call it an overpopulation problem can be misleading.

Last edited:
Personally i think its a big flavour of the month thing.It may been chill for a while, not many pythons or reps being sold readily but then next year it could boom.There are always different factors, quality, price etc that has a large impact on buyers and i guess it also depends where you sell... as is the way of markets for everything i think.It will have its ups and downs in moments, like everything else.I only have one python at the moment, i plan on getting him a girlfriend and i want to get 2 womas to breed, but its something i dont want to do every single season and more of less a learning experience + enjoyment of this great hobby, ive loved pythons ever since i was a little girl and i always will.
Not to mention, the thought of earning cash never really came into my mind as huge importance, the reward is being able to love and care for these creatures is whats most rewarding to me.
Everyone is different.

As Bart touched on, when I see people advertising to basically get their hands on any snake possible so that they can begin breeding it makes me cringe. I wonder how many of the snakes on here who aren't feeding well were sold by breeders who hadn't established them as feeders well enough before letting them go. IMO if you're looking at making a 20 year commitment for the lifespan of your animal I don't see the point of saving 200 bucks and going to just any old breeder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is that everyone thinks the highest level of the hobby is to be a breeder and breeders like to try to push pairs rather then singles. If breeders stopped selling sexed animals it would cut down on the inexperienced from breeding and push the hobby towards keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back