aren't hatchlings supposed to hide?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Lloyd

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm definitely new to owning snakes, only had my bredli for a few days now. I have it in a fairly large enclosure as that's all I had at the time I got it (in the middle of building a Click Clack in case I need it) and I half expected it to freak out over having that much space around it.

The thing is though, it very rarely goes into its hides. As in I've never seen it in one of them at all. Usually it is found laying over a branch or wrapped up around one of the fake plants I've got inside the enclosure. Is this normal behaviour for a 2-3 month old snake? Should I still put the Click Clack inside the tank until it gets a little larger or increase the number of hides it has to choose from?

Any advise would be helpful as this little guy has me incredibly puzzled at the moment.

Pictures help everyone :D

Temps?
Method of heating?
Is it near the branches he’s wrapped up on?
Does he have enough hides?

Etc

Sorry

The hot end of the cage ranges from 30-33 and the cold end from around 25-29. I am using a 100w heat lamp but I'm considering changing to a simple ceramic heat emitter just to avoid constant lighting.

There are 2 hides in the tank, one at the cold end and one at the warmer end. The plant he usually perches on top of is about in the middle of the two zones.

Will try to provide a photo when I get home from work this afternoon.

They only hide away if they are stressed.
I wouldn't worry about the size of the enclosure. That little one is obviously very confident and so long as it has enough hides if it wants to utilise them it sounds like it will be fine

They only hide away if they are stressed.
I wouldn't worry about the size of the enclosure. That little one is obviously very confident and so long as it has enough hides if it wants to utilise them it sounds like it will be fine

Ok sweet. Everything I've read has said that hatchlings hide and bite, so far this one's done neither and had me seriously confused :D

I'll be keeping an eye on him anyway and hopefully he he takes some food in the next day or two but at least I can sleep easy knowing he's not stressed out

Ok sweet. Everything I've read has said that hatchlings hide and bite, so far this one's done neither and had me seriously confused :D

I'll be keeping an eye on him anyway and hopefully he he takes some food in the next day or two but at least I can sleep easy knowing he's not stressed out
I wouldn’t worry too much Andrew, I have 3 young pythons here. 2 yearlings and a hatchling and more often than not they prefer to be perched up in the tree inside their enclosure. My Jungle hatchy doesn’t bite either and they are known for being feisty. Bredli are one of the more docile pythons and will remain so with regular handling. Even my 8 older pythons ranging from 2-4 years of age prefer to be in the open rather than cooped up in their hides.

I wouldn’t worry too much Andrew, I have 3 young pythons here. 2 yearlings and a hatchling and more often than not they prefer to be perched up in the tree inside their enclosure. My Jungle hatchy doesn’t bite either and they are known for being feisty. Bredli are one of the more docile pythons and will remain so with regular handling. Even my 8 older pythons ranging from 2-4 years of age prefer to be in the open rather than cooped up in their hides.

How does your jungle go with feeding? Will it happily strike at food even though it won't snap at you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back