Armadillo girdled lizard!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morelia_Hunter

Banned
Reaction score
Just a pic of probably my favourite South African lizard or in the world. Cordylus cataphractus or the armadillo girdled lizerd is endemic to the SW cape and live in colonies of up to 40 individuals. They are live bearing and the babies are perfect replicas of the adults. They bite on their tail and roll themselves into a ball when threatened. They also hide amongst rock crevices and inflate their bodies so they cant be removed. These animals are CITES protected as is most of South Africas reptile species.
P6161309.jpg

P6161303.jpg

P6161302.jpg

P6161307.jpg

P6161306.jpg

With permission from the owner of the photos.
Regards

LIVE BEARING:shock:

Ouch.... that would have to hurt:lol:

Very cool lizard though

Ben

that is the most adorable looking lizard i have ever seen!
it is so cute, i want one!!! chewing on its tail. how funny yet so so cute!
and i like the wedge in cracks bit. clever little creature!

Thats crazy!! Is that a fully grown one you are holding?

They are an amazing lizard, I had some Crag Lizards years ago, they are Cordylus but can't remember the species name.

Thats amazing, maybe this is where the myth of snakes biting there tail and rolling down hills comes from.

I was just looking at something about them last night.

They are so cute! They must have pretty tough tails.

You'll see those guys if you check out that Dragons Alive doco. Incredibly interesting form of defence. Love how they roll into a ball. Also makes it hard for predators to take a nip out of their soft spot.

Just an FYI - this thread has been featured on StumbleUpon as well as various blogs on the Internet and has received over 30,000 unique visits in the last 3 days. Congrats to Morelia_Hunter for taking some great pictures and drawing so much extra traffic to our little corner of the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back