Army?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimG

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of joining the army reserves, and also applying for ADFA scholarship award. I'm 16 but turn 17 in September, could do recruit training at Kapooka over Christmas school holidays and continue training throughout year 12. It's only a weekend a month (14 days a year compulsory, plus up to 100 extra voluntary), and $110 a day. $1700 for the initial stint at Kapooka. It'd get me fit and active, I need a job as well so this way I could earn some money.

The ADFA award is a program where, if I succeed I get $2000 and a laptop, no strings attached. I also get a placed reserved for me in Duntroon and a degree paid for, starting salary of $30k tax fee, if I get the required UAI, and also if I accept. If I don't I still have to the laptop, the money and the award.

What do you guys think about this? Worthwhile experience?

Any stories about military service or tips and advice greatly appreciated, thanks,
Tim

i thought about the army, dad said son you're f'n high.....

i was looking at it....
but ADFA didn't offer what i wanted....

if they have a degree you are after, go for it and good luck... couldn't think of a better way to join the army...

i eve considered it, and i am quite anti-military

I just figured even if I didn't go to ADFA and only did 1 year in the reserves, I still got the award, and the reserves'd be kinda cool, I'm mostly just nervous about recruit training at Kapooka. Heard it really messes with your head.

the mind is its own place, it can make a hell of a heaven, and a heaven of a hell

My brother left school at 17 to join the army, He went to Kapooka, He hated it! He thinks Kapooka is hell, and the guys at Kapooka don't follow the rules they will break you, it eventually lightened up a bit when he went to Brisbane/Darwin, but the work is intense.

But eventually after the minimum four years he left, but all of the work in the army stuffed up his knee, he can barely use it, He plays sports alot and the army has totally ruined that for him, and I don't know if there is a time requirement for reserves but if you lock in for four years when you are 17 you will be 21 when you leave, that will take alot out of your life, when my brother joined the army he had a life, when he left he had a buggered knee a wife and a son.

There is no time for fun, and it is a big commitment.

I am able to drop out after Kapooka, and also after 1 year's service. I've heard some stories about Kapooka. Scary as hell, I'm not really sure what to expect. I've got the training program, but not proper experiences from people about it

A friend from school joined the army i think hes up in darwin at the moment. He really dislikes it and definatly regrets the decision. It has also change him heaps, now he is extremely racist, and homophobic, which is kinda disapointing. Not to mention how much he relies on the grog.

my 2nd cousin joined the army he now has a stuffed knee and a stuffed arm he disliked it aswell and now he has 12 foster kids and he says it's just like the armey all over again lol

Do you want to join the army, or are you just afer the award.

how good are your school marks, the award wouldnt be easy to get, as you can imagine a lot of people are chasing it.

It's not about the award, that'd just be good to get. It's about the benefits of it, the training, credentials, fitness, and financial. My marks are good enough to get into ADFA at the moment. We've had 5 kids from our school (Trinity Grammar) get last year. But I don't think i'd do it full time through ADFA if I got it. I'd do it through RMC and do reserves while I'm doing my degree so when I finish the degree, I don't have to fill any more service commitments.

Are u sure there arnt service comitments if u do a degree at adfa?

If you do a degree and the military pays for it you will have a service commitment, they wont just pay for your degree and not expect anything back.
You could apply to do the undergrad program where you dont go through ADFA and you do your degree at a different uni. But you will still have a service commitment.
If you just do reserves and you pay for your own degree then yeah you wont have a service commitment

There is a service commitment at ADFA because you do your degree, then your service. If you do your degree at RMC you can do reserves during your degree, and have no service commitment as you did so during your degree.

as they whole point of being in the army is learning how to kill other human beings, i don't know why anyone would think it wouldn't mess you up

You cant do a degree at RMC. That is the "War College" that is the last part of officer training

My mistake, scholarships are available and while at university there’s the requirement to serve part-time with a University Regiment and upon graduation, you’ll complete 12 months military training at Royal Military College (RMC) Duntroon.

So you'll still have to do a years service. At least I'm learning something. I don't want to commit to something I'm not fully informed of, that why I posted this here in the first place

yeah, that scholarship that you are talking about is the undergrad scheme, you have 9 years service commitment on that

Far out. Thanks for letting me know. Do you know the minimum service requirement for General Entry reserves?

Not 100%, but i am pretty sure that there is no service requirement on reserves any more

Mmm well at least you've given me some things to think about. Thanks for all your help and anything else anyone wants to add, experiences, advice feel free it'd be greatly appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back