Army?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the simple decision that you have to make is do you want to spend a minimum of 9 years of your life in the military.

you have to decide whether the benefits will out weigh the costs. Also you will have to decide on which service you want to go to and what job you want to do while you are in there.

Also what would you do if you dont go and there fore what would you want to do once you leave

having been in the raaf for 5 years i can honestly say no decision is ever made to your benefit unless they are lining up to give ya one in the bum.

if i had my time over i wouldnt do it again and ive still got 12 months left.

if you want fitness join a gym if you want a scholarship start ringing some big companies a lot of them will offer it especially if you show promise (high UAI)

the final decision lies with you but if your even unsure a little bit i wouldn't do it not when your life becomes wholly theirs for the time you are there

The only real option I'm considering is the reserves, which means I won't have service commitments if I become a rifleman. If I did that would it be to demanding on my life outside the military?

I've been in the RAAF for 13 years and love it. The thing with recruit training is that its supposed to sort out the crap. Its just a game. Play the game and you wont have problems. If you think they have to play by the rules, then your in for a tough time. Lets face it if you want to be a rifleman you MAY be called on to actually shoot at someone. You have to be in the right frame of mind to do that. I don't want someone in my section thats a cry baby and who thinks he's being hard done by if he gets yelled at! (I've already got one of those big skirts in my section now!)

Those people that have brothers/cousins etc that have injured themselves would of had treatment and rehab to fix them. If the injury can be fixed but it stops you doing your current role (infantry for instance) then you can change jobs. As long as you can pass the fitness tests your good to go. If it can't be fixed and you get medically discharged you can apply for compo for the injury. Military life is not for everyone, as Heapy22 has found out but your life is not theirs, thats crap. There are some sacrifce's that will have to be made, deployments etc. In my job as a shift worker I have missed birthdays/anniversarys/my kids sport days and partys but thats what I have to do. If you think you can't do that and want to go out all the time, then don't join.

Reserves will be a bit different BUT with todays reserves being deployed more often, you could be deployed to some where like Timor for a 6 month stint (once your 18). Do you think you could handle that? What happens to your study then?

If you join ADFA you will be smashed by the upper classmen, that can be worse than recruits as it lasts until you become the upper classman (look at the suicides at ADFA). Think you could handle that?

"I'd do it through RMC and do reserves while I'm doing my degree so when I finish the degree, I don't have to fill any more service commitments."

It sounds like you want the benifit of a paid for degree AND a wage but don't want to give any time back.
If thats the case then just go to Uni, get stoned and have a good time.

Join the RAAF..... Leave the army alone cause im speaking from personal experience... It's going down hill and getting worse by the day.... I am now out and my husband is waiting for a transfer to the raaf... Good luck with your choice matey..!!! But as bakes said it sounds like you want the benefit of a paid for degree AND a wage but don't want to give any time back. If thats the case then just go to Uni, get stoned and have a good time.

Last edited:
I did 6 years in the Navy then went to the RAAF to retire. I've only be here for four years and plan on being hear for a lot longer.
Never had my life taken away from me. you just got to play their little game and then its easy stuff.
you have bosses that tell you what to do, but show me an employer who doesn't have a boss who tells them what to do.
i'd say stuff the reserves join full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back