Artificial insemination

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by Gizmo101, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gizmo101

Gizmo101 Subscriber Subscriber

So I'm curious about how far this way of breeding has come, I've done a bit of reading on this and am after some more personal responses on the subject.
    Working in a vet practice I see it happen quite often in dogs and occasionally in cats and it has spiked my curiosity as to do we (Australian's) use it?

Would you as a breeder personally use it if it was an option to you?

How far into the development of this practice would it be before you got on board and used it too?

The success rate outcome you predict?
    (I know I could be opening a can of worms here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Wild~Touch

Wild~Touch Very Well-Known Member

You could be opening Pandoras Box :)

3. Wing_Nut

Wing_Nut Well-Known Member

Artificial insemination is a relatively widespread practice both for commercial operations as well as domestic purposes. It is used in birds, fish, and mammals and I see no reason why it cannot be used for reptiles as well. Obviously the more research and development that takes place the more viable an option it would be.

It has many practical applications, including having available better genetic material available, improved quarantine potential and far more control over breeding outcomes (including things like sex determination and the number of offspring produced).

I think most people would be surprised at how widespread AI is, and how successful it has been and with correct R & D there is no reason why it wouldn't be successful in reptiles.

Wing_Nut

4. Senator358

Senator358 Well-Known Member

It has been successfully used in reptiles and I know of at least one breeder who has trialled it for a few years now with pythons with good results.

5. Wing_Nut

Wing_Nut Well-Known Member

I am not surprised to hear that. It would be interesting to see and read about techniques that are successful and what processes are followed.

6. Snowman

Snowman Guest

How else do you get Carpondro's and Coma's :)

7. Gizmo101

Gizmo101 Subscriber Subscriber

Does anyone know how accessible it is now?
    Or how close it is to becoming a common practice amongst the everyday breeders?
    AI holds a number of benefits of it's use but would it effect the breeding capability of the female and/or male because the 'courting' part of the breeding process is missed? ( I know it can affect some dogs, the lack of hormonal interaction means no babies, but are perfectly fine breeders)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.