Asian House Geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cougar2007

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im wondering if anyone can point out to me where i can get some Asian house Geckos.

I need them to make a living display in my shop.

There is a story behind why i need those particular Geckos. It is to promote our tropical holidays. They are always a big part of any Scuba Diving holiday we do.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Collect them from the wild.. They are a introduced pest.. No body would keep them or breed them i wouldnt think :)

I thought they were everywhere? Scattered all up and down the coast?

Ahh well, as justdragons said... trip up here and you can come back with all the Asian House Geckos you want!

Yeh just transport an introduced pest across the border its probably fine lol. Southern NSW is short on cane toads too, so grab a few of them

where are they listed as a pest? sorry i didnt know. Are they listed as a pest by the government?

Asian house geckos are already in NSW supposedly. Wiki doesnt lie right?

Cane toads are lovely creatures... yeah you can take as many as you want back with you, QLD wont mind.

Yes, they are a pest. It's hard enough trying to get them shipped from QLD to NSW as frozen food let alone getting some live ones.

Why not get some native geckos for your display tank?..

I was going to reach for the popcorn and just watch how this one was going to pan out... LOL

Serious question though... Doesn't Sydney have them? I'm sure there was a thread a couple of months ago about someone in Sydney who even posted a pic of them at his place and didn't realise they weren't indigenous.

I like JrFear's idea as the average punter would not realise the difference. What would you do with the Asian ones once the display wasn't needed? Just release them again?

Yes they are a listed pest species....

I've found them in the bush not far from Sydney (Watagan National Park) but it was a single individual. Pretty sure there are no established populations known of in Sydney or surrounds.

I would love to go with an aussie gecko. I need one that makes the same noise as an asian house, along with looks the same/similar. Also with a similar "personality" as this will be an interactive display. Also needs to be Hardy and able to put up with people gawking at it all day.

any suggestions?

Last edited:
Marble Geckos are very similar and are native you can buy them for around $30 each so they are not expensive and if I remember correctly you do not need a license for them but you WILL need to double check that as I am not 100% sure about that. and it may be in vic that that is the law.
But marble geckos sound just the thing for you

I would suggest you contract someone with a marketing background to give you some better ideas to promote your business. A ****ty little display of geckoes in a shop (which wont exactly 'display' or even be visible if you provide them with what they need) isn't going to attract new customers or entice people to use your service. I would suggest lots of colour photographs and short positive reviews strung around the walls. If you want a display a glass case with a miniature beach scenario (or whatever it is) would look pretty cool and low maintenance.
Anyway, goodluck if you do it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back