Asian House Geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Just interested in opinions on Asian House Geckoes.
I have them absolutely everywhere around home, (1000's of 'em)
I dont mind them, Ive even got them in my reptile room and they eat up stray woodies/crickets.
but,
A herp I know of actually hates them with a passion and every one he sees he catches and feeds to his reptiles or kills.
An introduced pest that he hates.
Is he extreme? or Realistic?

Well we have them everywhere in darwin and apparently the push out native species from suburbia - but thats just what i read on aussieherps lol. I am going to get eaten alive here but...........I feed their tales to my monitors :)

feed the whole thing to the monitor, they are introduced species....kill em all....lol

hehehe I do i just didnt wanna get murdered :p

Not sure about other states, but they are protected in NSW and are on the NPWS reptile list. Apparently they've been here so long they are now classified as "native".
So free the frenatus !!

I think if he is just killing them then it is a bit extreme however if he is feeding them to his snakes then at least going to good use.

It all depends on who you believe....
Some claim that Hemidactylus Frenatus was introduced recently (<500 years ago) by humans and is therefore a feral.
Others claim that they have been here for possibly up to 10,000 years but only had limited distribution until the advent of White people in Australia. They "may" have come over by themselves and are therefore as "native" as many other animals.
Mu opinion is that they are here to stay, but whether feral or native, they breed fast and have an expanding distribution. So if you want to feed them to your herps, go for it, it's not really any diferent to shooting roo's.

can u keep them legally in nsw? i kinda like the little guys. feeding...small crix woodies etc?

You can keep them in NSW but the same rules apply as to any other reptile.
They are nocturnal, thrive in warm and humid conditions and they are like little crocs when feeding - will eat just about anything they can grab like woodies, moths and mine escpecially loves big juicy blowies.

when watching round my house they always eat the moths thats all I ever seen em eat :)

ill give ya em for half of what pinkie charges :p. I pride myself in the breeding of Asian house gecko's I am the premier breeder for them in the top end!

lol brodie and pinky, I reckon I could sell em by the bagful! lol
actually after seeing all the southerners who dont have them, it makes you appreciate the little guys a bit more. All their chattering and interacting,
I did catch one once to feed him to a snake but a reptile is a reptile to me and I let him go.
they would be a good source of food for a captive animal because they do breed up so well, it seems like an endless supply.
people should feel fortunate to have wild reptiles, I have a huge colony of water skinks in the gardens and these geckoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back