Aspidites or Liasis any more active than Morelia?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We keep all 3 (Aspidites, Liasis and Morelia) and to be honest there is so many thing to cloud the waters. Husbandry, feeding regime, age, sex, time of year, individual characteristics, etc. I know you are looking for a generalisation, but we have extremes of activity and nothing in all 3!!!

Out of mine, my spotted is usually hiding, my bredli is happy out on display-but not necessarily moving around. My wa woma is in his little cave during the day but out and about at when the sun sets, as with sa woma, but it seems a little more curious and pokes it's head out during the day to see what's going on and sometimes cruises around- both womas are good to watch burrowing.

Adult blackheads get very mobile in the afternoons when hungry. They differ from morelia in that they actively seek out and hunt their prey in the wild, where morelia are happy to find a spot and sit in ambush. I don't personally think that any one species could be thought of as being a lot more active then the other though.

my water python is not only alot more active than any of my morelia's she also shows alot more personality and is alot more fun to play with. she is always exploring her enclosure and i switch things up for her so it gives her somthing new to sus out. she absolutly loves it when i put shredded paper on the bottom of the ground floor level of her enclosure. it gives her hours of fun. i tryed shredded paper in one of my darwin pythons enclosure and he wasnt fazed about it like as if he didnt care.

Get a monitor, you will never look back.

I don't have any Aspidites, and I can only compare Olives with Darwins/Diamonds (and only 2 years of keeping) and I would say that my Morelia have been SLIGHTLY less active on average. That's not too helpful with such a small sample group, but I have had a few monitors over the years (currently have Spencer's) and they blow away any of my pythons as far as beening active and having personality, so I can definately agree with Anouc.

A quick rundown of observed behaviour from my lot:
Coastal - pretty active
Bredli - quiet
Murray Darling - cruisy
Port Mac - cruisy
WA Woma (hatchy) - timid, but likes to explore at night
BHP - stickybeak, highly inquisitive, very active at night
Water Python (newly acquired 3 yr old) - very active, particularly at night - likes to bash his cage when he sees me, because he is still getting used to his new dad (or he's psycho, can't tell yet).

Truthfully though, for night time entertainment, nothing beats my insane green tree frog collection - the ultimate hunters!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back