Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldestMagician

Reaction score
I just had my Spotted out tonight who I tend to let curl around my neck to hang out for 10 minutes or so. Tonight he started squeezing and it actually became quite tight and it got me to wondering at what size it's a good idea to have a second person around in case this kind of thing happens. I'm quite a big guy and my Spotted isn't overly huge but I have a (near) yearling Bredli who'll be getting a lot larger than him and was curious about peoples opinions.

Here's Weaver for a size reference:

DSCF0335.JPG

All depends on the snake
We dont let anything over 3metres be handled by the public unless there are 2 of us there
But we often move 4metre plus wild retics by ourselves
2metre bloods can hurt you badly
3metre wild burmese can be the hardest on Earth
3metre plus kings are a 2 man job although only one actually touches the snake

Warwick from Rodentfarm has an interesting story that involves an olive python. I think that it depends what you are doing with the snakes as well.

Ahh longqi next time I go to Bali ( been 6 times ) I insist I come play in the bush you should have seen me at the reptile park iguana cage with that big boy they have

I would think that would depend on the particular snake etc.

For instance, a 2m water python I work with I will let crawl all over me (he's like a belt!) at cleaning etc, no issue there. I wouldn't do that with my 2m black head though. Not because he's vicious or trying to eat me, but if he got up to the neck and gave me a little love squeeze it would be a bit harder to get him off I suspect. I have no issue with getting him out for a stretch, just don't wrap him around me..

I never get the adult scrubby's out at work without the boss. I don't imagine it would be fun to wrestle them even at my (pretty good for a girl) 167cm!

Even around the 4kg/6ft mark they have far more strength then people realise. That being said, I think it's still a very manageable size.

Personally I wouldn't let any snake climb/wrap around my neck. The can feel the pulse, blood flow etc. and it will initiate a feed response. If this happens around your wrist then fine but why you would want a snake wrapped around your neck is beyond me.

Personally I wouldn't let any snake climb/wrap around my neck. The can feel the pulse, blood flow etc. and it will initiate a feed response. If this happens around your wrist then fine but why you would want a snake wrapped around your neck is beyond me.

There may be some merit behind this but if as you said it WILL initiate a feed response rather than COULD, I think a lot of us would be dead by now. Just because a snake is on your neck it doesn't instantly go crazy. It definitely adds a greater potential for danger though.

After 10 feet is when they start to get dangerous. My general rule is after 10 feet I have at least one person per 5 ft of snake. When I kept large constrictors I would never feed without a friend with me.

Patrick

There may be some merit behind this but if as you said it WILL initiate a feed response rather than COULD, I think a lot of us would be dead by now. Just because a snake is on your neck it doesn't instantly go crazy. It definitely adds a greater potential for danger though.

Sorry, should have said 'could' rather than 'will' :)

I stop handling my snakes by myself once they hit 2 meter mark I have x3 2m x1 2.8m and x2 3m + I only handle when I really need to which normally consists of strait into a pillow case or strait into a female's enclosure. I have been strangled by my big girl and she has sized me up a number of times. I have 1 particular snake I will allow guests to hold when I'm in the room my 3m male BHP.

Most of the reptile parks and wildlife parks around the place that offer photo opportunities with snakes place the snake around your neck and then have you support it with both hands. I have heard of what you are saying being a possibility but have never heard of an actual story of it. The closest I have heard is the OP saying his ant gave a little squeeze.

It's just what I've done since I've had him really. Just pop him on my shoulders and he'll hang out for a bit whilst I'm on the computer then I'll put him back in his enclosure. He doesn't wriggle around very much doing that as when I'm holding him with my hands but I feel like it's a way for him to be used to being handled. (I have no idea if this is true) If he was bigger there's no way I'd be doing it.

When I say tight, it wasn't a "oh god I'm suffocating" tightness, it just made me consider how tight it would be if he was bigger.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

With a spotted around the neck.. probably a two person job all the time, a spotted not around the neck, then no need for two people.

Full grown bredli would depend on the temperment I guess. Still not advisable to be having them around the neck at anytime I reckon, but that's just me though.

With a spotted around the neck.. probably a two person job all the time, a spotted not around the neck, then no need for two people.

Full grown bredli would depend on the temperment I guess. Still not advisable to be having them around the neck at anytime I reckon, but that's just me though.

I invite people to try this thing around this neck if they like. :p

5HSiz.jpg

Care should be taken with all sizes. If the python had your hands restricted in any way you could be in some very serious danger (Unlikely but very possible).

Bad father or good father for letting my daughter have a snake around her neck?

Attachments

• IMG_7842.jpg
    IMG_7842.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_8003.jpg
    IMG_8003.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 164
Bad father or good father for letting my daughter have a snake around her neck?

See I don't think there's any issue at all there.
If by chance one of the snakes decided to hug your girl a little tight you (I assume, or someone trusted) were right there behind the camera to help out.

Would only be a danger if she got coiled up alone.

Gorgeous girl by the way :)

Spotted pythons are harmless, they don't have the strength to choke you.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back