Attention all NSW members - Greg Miles at the AHS

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krefft

Reaction score
We are very excited now announce that Greg Miles will be attending the July 27 AHS meeting and giving two 30 minute presentations:
"The Sustainable use of Wildlife” and
“Captive Management of Carettochelys Insculpta - The Pig-nosed Turtle"

Greg is widely regarded as one of the most informative and entertaining speakers in the field of Herpetology. This will be his first time addressing the society. It will defiantly be one not to miss!

Greg is a former Ranger in Kakadu National Park where he worked for
over 20 years.
Over the last 10 years there has been a 75% decline in animals in Kakadu
National Park. Recently, the ABC program "Big Ideas" discussed the
proposition that the law makers should allow different ways to manage
wildlife to prevent extinctions, on which Greg was a panel member. Greg
will discuss some methods of anti-extinction which he proposes as part of
the conservation solution.

Greg is also a renowned breeder of pig-nosed turtles and has put great
effort into addressing their needs in captivity and now understands this
species more than anyone: he will dispel some myths and enlighten you on
the captive management of a species once thought impossible to breed in
captivity. His success with this species is truly one of the under-rated
achievements in herpetoculture in Australia.

Symbio Wildlife Park will also be along with information on how to become part of their volunteer program. It's going to be a big night. Hope you all can make it along!

Last edited:
I'll second the statement that Greg is indeed a top-class speaker - he delivered two amazing addresses at the Symposium in Cairns last year. No one in Australia is more aware of the plight of our fauna - indeed of our whole environment - and few people have better ideas than Greg, about what needs to be done to reduce the conveyor belt to extinction that current policies are supporting. Few people are as entertaining either.

Anyone with even small concerns about the future of our fauna must make the effort to catch these addresses while he's in Sydney.

Jamie

Unfortunately I won't be able to be at this meeting ........ BUT is there is a remote chance that this address could be video'd and the proceeds go towards the cause ?

I would pay top dollar for the video and it would be the best way to spread the very important words

Cheers
Sandee :)

Last edited:
as above. and if such a video was made i could get it into some nsw public schools quite easily.

Great idea Jack,

For anyone sitting on the fence about coming, here's a recent discussion held with Greg at UNSW on the topic (Cheers Waterrat!).

Definitely not to be missed

ABC iview

I've already spoken to my favourite Reptile/Wildlife Demonstrator and he offered to incorporate "Big Ideas and The Great Native Pet Debate" in his talks, so we have a great start.

Also there is a Wildlife Expo (in Qld.) coming up in August and I can give this heaps of exposure....not to be confused with the Gold Coast Reptile Expo which is the weekend before

Cheers
Sandee :)

Last edited:
Please note guys, just remember, there is a $5 entry fee for non members and members must show their current membership cards at the door.

If you wish to become a member you can register online at http://www.ahs.org.au//index.php?page=membership

Some of the talks we have coming up this year should not be missed.

Cheers

Daz

One more vote here for a video, if at all possible.

even at 73 years of age, and in the death of winter, i will get there, even if i have to walk the whole way. seems it is not to be missed

just as a point of interest, as of 3 months ago, ANGFA , the native fish group, Sydney branch, is videoing the whole of each meeting, as it progresses, so you can stay at home and watch the meeting unfold. the video remains on the site permanently....this is because 1 of the younger members, is 1 of those very, very clever computer people. maybe this is a thaught for us for the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back