Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vadnappa

Reaction score
the vic dse is considering adding some species to the list that victorians are allowed to keep. they require specific numbers kept and the keeper/breeders name and state they live in. if anyone has or knows of anyone who keeps any of the following please let me know. all that is required is the number you have, name and state. if anyone has reservations about supplying these please consider the future opportunities for sales and allowing victorians the chance to keep some of these animals.

Amphibolurus nobbi
Cyclodomorphus michaeli
Diporiphora australis
Diporiphora winnecki
Nephrurus wheeleri
Rankinia diemensis
Varanus baritji
Varanus mitchelli
Varanus glebopalma
Varanus kingorum
Varanus panoptes
Varanus pilbarensis
Varanus primordius

YAY! More monitors and knob-tails! Although what licence do you need and were'd you get this information? (can't wait to keep some Varanus baritji!)

Is there a more central/authenticated body (no offence intended at all mate) we can supply this data to?

It is a bit sad, so many states such as Tasmania and WA are left behind a bit... Hopefully you guys will get a licence update soon though!

Why doesn't the DSE just contact the relevant authorities in other states to get these figures?

They are kept on record you know. That's why we do returns...

the vic dse is considering adding some species to the list that victorians are allowed to keep. they require specific numbers kept and the keeper/breeders name and state they live in. if anyone has or knows of anyone who keeps any of the following please let me know. all that is required is the number you have, name and state. if anyone has reservations about supplying these please consider the future opportunities for sales and allowing victorians the chance to keep some of these animals.

Amphibolurus nobbi
Cyclodomorphus michaeli
Diporiphora australis
Diporiphora winnecki
Nephrurus wheeleri
Rankinia diemensis
Varanus baritji
Varanus mitchelli
Varanus glebopalma
Varanus kingorum
Varanus panoptes
Varanus pilbarensis
Varanus primordius

How else can you work out what people have to steal? (not saying your a thief, but it sounds a little odd)

How else can you work out what people have to steal? (not saying your a thief, but it sounds a little odd)
Mmm.. vadnappa. K ;)
Seems everyone has reservations about supplying data such as this. Do you have a number or link to said information other than your own source?
If so then maybe the change over there could kick start changes in W.A & Tas.. wishful tihnking I know but eh.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Does seem like a strange request.
I can't find anything on their website either.
Private Wildlife Licences

Not that I'm pointing any fingers but a solid reference to their intentions may get a whole heap of people in VIC excited!

Last edited:
Well, where do I send my details? I keep the skink mentioned there and my mates keep most of the monitors listed, minus pilbarensis and kingorum. Send me the email link and i'll send the relevant info.

I would wait until morning, and those interested in giving the information could always contact the VIC DEC direct to both ascertain the bona fides and, if true, give what details they wish. I personally think it's a little intrusive for them to know your name and state if they are simply trying to figure out the current numbers of captive stock. Then again, as mentioned already, why don't they simply contact the relevant authorities who already have all the information they require?

They do require numbers for the submission, but gathering from APS is hardly getting solid numbers, youre best bet is to contact the other states authorities for numbers.

The numbers need to be provided by the people making the submissions, DSE is not interested in doing this kind of work. If the numbers are not provided in the submission the updates won't get approved. I can't see any governing body releasing numbers to the general public so other ways need to be found to gather the relevant information.

Why doesn't the DSE just contact the relevant authorities in other states to get these figures?

They are kept on record you know. That's why we do returns...

When we have the chance to do submissions for a proposed change to the species keep list the onous
is on the person doing the submission to research and provide these numbers. This system make doing a submission harder than in really needs to be!
The Vic DSE is not one to make the job an easy one.
Quite a lot of the submissions get rejected because of lack of detail and depth.

Junglepython and Katotikjezta's comments make perfect sense I guess.
What would be their reason for needing to know numbers of such kept species and more specifically names?
Would it be to stop an inaccurate submission getting passed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back