Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
These are photos from the Dharawal area and Jervis Bay. I visited Jervis Bay last weekend and Dharawal today (Sat 22 Aug). Although this is August and technically winter, the weather has been mild and spring seems to have arrived a little early this year. Many plants are in full flower and a few species of peas at Dharawal have already progressed beyond their best. Two of my favourites, Sydney Rose and Spotted Sun Orchid, have just commenced flowering and are looking great.

This post includes photos of the reptiles that I encountered along with flower and habitat shots.

Dharawal area
habitat1.jpg

habitat.jpg

Red-bellied Blacksnake (Pseudechis porphyriacus) -- This snake was sunning itself on a rocky ridgetop. The day was cool and this red-belly was not as quick as usual. I normally just see a flash of black and red as they race to cover. This one just watched me for awhile, then hissed loudly before flattening its neck, turning and crawling off to a crevice. This red-belly did not exhibit much red on its flanks at all.
RedBelly1.jpg

RedBelly3.jpg

RedBelly2.jpg

Eastern Small-eyed Snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) -- common snakes in the area.
SmallEyed2.jpg

SmallEyed1.jpg

Yellow-faced Whipsnake (Demansia psammophis) -- seems to be common in rocky areas of Dharawal. I have seen several of these snakes recently.
YellowFaced1.jpg

YellowFaced2.jpg

Copper-tailed Skink (Ctenotus taeniolatus) -- a beautiful skink with a nicely coloured tail.
CopperTailed1.jpg

Eastern Blue-tongued Skink (Tiliqua scincoides) -- this lizard was particularly dark. Several of the black bars were fused to from a large continuous blotch of black on its back. It was sunning in the late afternoon along a trail at Jervis Bay.
bluetongue2.jpg

Sydney Rose (Boronia serrulata) -- my favouite plant at Dharawal. So far, I have found these plants in a single, sandy area of the reserve. Their flowers are beautiful and the leaves unusual as well.
Boronia1.jpg

Boronia2.jpg

Red Spider Flower (Grevillea speciosa) -- a common flower.
RedSpiderFlower1.jpg

Spotted Sun Orchid (Thelymitra ixioides) -- another superb flower. These orchids are odd since their flowers close in the late afternoon and reopen once it is bright in the morning. Even their buds are beautiful with petals alternating between blue and white.
SunOrchid1.jpg

SunOrchid2-1.jpg

Sundew -- this one was growing a fair distance from the creek. They are common along the damp areas in the reserve.
Sundew1.jpg

Here is a mix of Spring flowers from Dharawal and Jervis Bay.
Orchid1a_400.jpg
Orchid4_400.jpg
Pattersonia1_400.jpg

correa1_400.jpg
Boronia4_400.jpg
Boronia5_400.jpg

Wattle1_400.jpg
matchsticks1_400.jpg
hibbertia1_400.jpg

pea3_400.jpg
pea2_400.jpg
pea1_400.jpg

matchsticks1_400.jpg
pimelia1_400.jpg
Wattle1_400.jpg

Grevillea sp. -- colourful grevillea with "toothbrush" type flower.
grevillea2_600.jpg
grevillea3a_600.jpg

Peas (Pultenaea stipularis?)
pea1_600.jpg
pea3_600.jpg

Crimson Rosella, Rainbow Lorikeet and Black Wallaby
crimson1_600.jpg
crimson2_600.jpg

Rainbow1_600.jpg
Rainbow3_600.jpg

swamp4_600.jpg
swamp3_600.jpg

Bottlenosed Dolphin -- When I first saw the dorsal, the "Jaws" theme came to mind. This dolphin was one of several that were swimming not far off the beach near Green Patch.
dolphin1.jpg

Jervis Bay (Booderee National Park) -- I think that this is one of the most beautiful national parks in Australia. The fine, snow-white sandy beaches are just amazing.
habitat8.jpg

habitat6.jpg

habitat16.jpg

habitat9.jpg

habitat5.jpg

Hello Moloch05
You have some beautiful photos there, JB looks like a great place for a holiday.
Thanks for sharing.
Baz :D :D :D

Thanks, everyone.

ozzieimages, Jervis Bay is a great place for a family holiday. When my kids were young, we used to camp at Green Patch a few times each spring-autumn. If you decide to go, you need to book a few months in advance since it is very popular. In recent years, my wife and I usually stay in motels at Huskisson.

ssshazza, the South Coast is a lovely part of the world!

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back