Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply and the info, everyone.

ShnakeyGirl,
Here are a few more pics of the Fierce Snake and its habitat. I had a close call with it while I was taking these photos. The snake was basking on the shoulder of the road one morning. When I stopped the car, it reared, turned and began to race off towards the cracking clay. I jumped out and ran in front of it to a better position with better light and then took a few photos.
Oxyuranus_micro2.jpg

It soon found a crack and began to plunge in. Notice the shrub between me and the snake. It turned out to be very important to me.
Oxyuranus_micro3.jpg

I thought that the snake would disappear so moved closer to take a final shot of the tail as it dropped into the crack:
Oxyuranus_micro4.jpg

What I did not realize was that the crack was not deep or was blocked. The snake had made a U-turn and it suddenly exploded out of the ground. I suppose that it was frightened and annoyed by my presence. It flung itself up onto the shrub and very nearly reached my legs before I could react and jump out of the way. After that, it turned and crawled on to another crack where it stopped, whirled around to see where I was and then finally vanished from view.
Oxyuranus_micro1.jpg

Oxyuranus_micro5.jpg

This is the incredibly bleak and hostile habitat where it lived in the southwest corner of Queensland:
Oxyuranus_micro6.jpg

Regards,
David

Amazing pics of some amazing snakes there Dave! Inland tais & bandy bandys sure do put on some great displays.

wicked collection of pics man! the corals are nice, the red nape looks alot like a ringed brown i encountered (without the rings) would love to tee up a photo trip somewhere.... we have plenty of awesomely coloured snakes, you just need to know which rock to turn and where!

Although the americans have more brightly coloured snakes, they are all colubrids with similar ecology, while in australia our elapids have diversified to fill various niches usually filled by colubrids. Also Demansia flagellatio must be among the most colourful snakes in the world.

Awsome pics, dull or not I am still loving them. Really if all you look at is colour then you may as well buy a rubber one.

Aussie elapids are among the deadliest in the world, and this twit said they were boring because of their colour????? What are we flower arrangers :shock:

I do really love our Aussie elapids. It is interesting to see how they have taken on the roles assumed by colubrids elsewhere in the world.

I suppose, though, that we don't have many species with bright colours like the following. I found this gorgeous creature (DOR) in the mountains of Malaysia not far from Kuala Lumpur. I will post more photos in a separate thread.

Malay Blue Coral Snake
BlueMalayanCoral2.jpg

Regards,
David

The thing is at first glance looking at many Aussie Elapids you will see mostly brown but that is as I said only at first glance. If you take a moment to look deeper you will see diferent shades of brown, brick red, orange, yellow, black, green, blue and many other colours. It's just a matter of taking the time to appreciate the variety and diversity in all our magnificent and spectacular Elapids. not only colours but when youbegin to look you can appreciate the diferences in scalation between snake species. such as that of the Highlands Copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi) with their rather large scales and the Eastern Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textilis) with the cool flecks of light colouration between their scales. You simply can't deny their beauty once you have taken the time to look.

I do really love our Aussie elapids. It is interesting to see how they have taken on the roles assumed by colubrids elsewhere in the world.

I suppose, though, that we don't have many species with bright colours like the following. I found this gorgeous creature (DOR) in the mountains of Malaysia not far from Kuala Lumpur. I will post more photos in a separate thread.

Malay Blue Coral Snake
BlueMalayanCoral2.jpg

Regards,
David
:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: *jaw drops*

_DSC2059.jpg

Simoselaps bertholdi

_DSC2877.jpg

Neelaps calonotus

_DSC3137.jpg

Brachyurophis semifasciatus

_DSC3665.jpg

Parasuta monarchus

_DSC2998.jpg

Parasuta gouldi

Demansiapsammophisreticulata_DSC4403.jpg

Demansia (psammophis) reticulata

Echiopiscurta_DSC4304.jpg

Bardick Echiopis curta

Pseudonajaaffinis-4471.jpg

Dugite Pseudonaja affinis

All from WA in the last couple of months.

-H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back