Aussie Frilled Localities

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it's that easy. No music or wine required! lol

You do need to ensure that you get enough woodies in your first purchase (I started with 1000, but would probably have gotten by with 500) to still have adults breeding whilst you're feeding them off (if you feed adults to your reps, otherwise make sure that you allow some to grow up to be adults). The easiest way is to run a couple of colonies so you can rotate through them.

Try and keep them below 35deg C.

I started with 2 x tubs ($40), some flyscreen ($15), some duct tape ($5), Fluon ($20), eggcrate (free) and $80 worth of woodies. Say $2 worth of carrots and $1 worth of pellets each week and that's all it has cost me to feed for the past 5months. Better than $15+ per week of petshop woodies!!

Hahaha!
Im really considering giving this a shot if its that easy lol.
Couple of questions i have though..

Does the cold affect them? - Its just getting into Winter in Melbourne.. And my god, its freezing at night sometimes! (I have the bin outside)
Do they lay legs? or live young? lol
Do i need to add something in their so they can breed on, or do the just do it like rabbits so to speak..

Cheers mate,

cricket virus?
Yeah, there's a virus that started out in the UK and Europe that has been infecting sub adult and adult crickets with this virus that basically paralyzes once they get to the stage where they grow wings they die off in mass amounts. The UK and Europe's supply of the brown cricket is virtually gone now but they at least have 2 or 3 different cricket species they can use along with locusts. The US however, only uses the brown cricket and doesn't allow the other kinds which leaves keepers with very few choices for good feeders. The virus in the US is spreading quickly and has already wiped out a bit.

Yeah, there's a virus that started out in the UK and Europe that has been infecting sub adult and adult crickets with this virus that basically paralyzes once they get to the stage where they grow wings they die off in mass amounts. The UK and Europe's supply of the brown cricket is virtually gone now but they at least have 2 or 3 different cricket species they can use along with locusts. The US however, only uses the brown cricket and doesn't allow the other kinds which leaves keepers with very few choices for good feeders. The virus in the US is spreading quickly and has already wiped out a bit.

are roaches as aboundent in the us?

Hahaha!
Im really considering giving this a shot if its that easy lol.
Couple of questions i have though..

Does the cold affect them? - Its just getting into Winter in Melbourne.. And my god, its freezing at night sometimes! (I have the bin outside)
Do they lay legs? or live young? lol
Do i need to add something in their so they can breed on, or do the just do it like rabbits so to speak..

Cheers mate,

I'm in Townsville..... They slow down a bit in the cold, not sure how they'd handle freezing conditions - but they are cockroaches..... lol.

They give birth to live young, from egg capsules that the female carries internal. Worse than rabbits... :p

Only through online purchasing and reptile expos can people get roaches but they aren't difficult to get compared to other feeders like silkworms. Most people are too grossed out by the roaches to use them as feeders though.

i heard some where that you can get blue frilly's, any idea there there from or is it a morph or what?
(only ever seen 2 pictures and that was some time ago)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back