Australia Zoo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys! For my vet course at uni we need to accumulate eight weeks of prac work. I've done two of sheep and one of beef. I still have a week of horses and two weeks in a dairy (or vice versa). Those weeks are set weeks (we need at least three weeks of prac in an intensive practice, and three in an extensive practice).

Anyway, the important bit: the last two weeks we need to do are whatever we want! Most people do small animal practice or something like that, but I decided I'd email Australia Zoo. The good news is they wrote back saying sure! So I am working from the 1st of December to the 15th, probably. I've only been there a few times and that was ages ago so I'm wondering if anybody has anything to say about the joint? I'm really excited for it.

Last edited:
I reckon its gone down hill really, its just a tourist park now and i dont have a very high opinion of those who run it. In saying that though they still have heaps of cool animals and im sure it will be a great experience.

They havnt really done anything but make it more gimmicky and lame, not to mention all the dodgy stuff they have done. Bob Iwrin leaving becuase of their way of doing things says alot to me.

depends if your workign in the zoo or at the clinic the clinic is very good and lots to be learnt the zoo, not so much im my opinion.

Yeah I will be working with the veterinary nurses on their rounds, and occasionally helping maintain the enclosures. I also think the zoo itself has gone down, but the veterinary hospital is top notch.

Hi,my brother spend 4years at uni to become a vet,if that helps.

I'm surprised you heard back from them, I've applied for heaps of jobs there and never heard a thing back, not even a rejection letter or email. I love the place and would do just about anything to work there! Have fun, I'm so jealous.

while you are there ask them how their campaign to save the mary river turtle is going!;)
cheers:)

BLOODY STUPID IDEA .........the DAM is ......but they still say its going ahead ....drove out through IMBIL and TRAVERSTON and the signs are still in abundance , signed petitons and went to fundraisers and awareness music festival ,my daughter played there in Gympie ,,,,,its heart breaking for alot of locals :( and the government wont compromise well not at the moment .......keep pushing to save the turtles as this may be our only AMMO against it all .......

Congrats :) I'm doing the same thing; January next year I'll be doing 2 weeks of placement at Australia Zoo and then in April 1 week at Seaworld. Also organised all my other placement; 2 weeks beef, 2 weeks sheep, 2 weeks dairy, and just gotta organise the 2 weeks at a horse stud. I've also done 1 week of placement at DA Hall Poultry. A lot of the placement is hard work, but its fun and what I (or should I say "we" if you enjoy it as well) like to do; otherwise I wouldn't be doing this degree!

IMO Aus zoo IS going downhill and has been since they lost Steve. however I do believe that most of the keepers seem to know what they're talking about, and the enclosures are pretty good imo.

Yeah I will be working with the veterinary nurses on their rounds, and occasionally helping maintain the enclosures. I also think the zoo itself has gone down, but the veterinary hospital is top notch.

you will learn alot phil, it is very informative

It takes 5 yrs to do a vet course, is that correct...?

Yeah 5 years. Not sure how pythons brother did it in 4.. pretty sure that's impossible? Obviously not though.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. I'm itching to get there.

is it hard i mean all the studying and stuff i want to be a vet but i get scared about all the studying and stuff lol

worked there as a volounteer for a while, they treated you like ****...the workers thought they were better, some didnt tho

and yes it very much is feeling like a tourist park now as opposed to a zoo...if that makes sense! its not as much about the animals as it is about the patrons and money

good luck tho mate, there are alot of good people who work there

Yeah 5 years. Not sure how pythons brother did it in 4.. pretty sure that's impossible? Obviously not though.

we'll make you a reptile and exotics vet yet :D hehehhe

you shoudl come have a look at my collection some time.

Phil, that is great news for you mate, all the best with such a great opportunity. You really have a wonderful career in front of you, best of luck with it mate.

Gday Philk, thats fantastic! Great news you must be really stoked!!
How unreal! Your the luckyiest!
Cheers Bro.

is it hard i mean all the studying and stuff i want to be a vet but i get scared about all the studying and stuff lol
Oh yeah. It's hard all right, don't you worry about that. Last weekend was the first night that I hadn't been in the library studying 'til past 11pm.. And I have exams and quizzes and assignmenst due left right and centre. I'm lucky though because it's an awesome degree and I enjoy it - not for the faint hearted though..

Thanks mrmikk and cement, means a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back