Australian Snakes - Richard Shine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelh

Reaction score
I know it has been praised before but this guy really deserves credit.

I am about half way through and cannot believe what an exellent read it is. Great detail without being too dense and excellent pics as well.

World class work I reckon.

I agree with you totally. It should be assumed reading for everyone with a snake. Once you understand what Mr Shine has written you can look back and actually care for your snake knowing WHY you do certain things, and why you dont do other things, and actually understand a snakes requirements, not just going through the motions because some pet shop dude or breeder told you to. It also gives you the background knowledge to solve husbandry related problems yourself by knowing and understanding why there is a problem. It really gives you alot of info on how a snake lives, eats, grows, behaves and breeds in the wild, and that all relates to how we look after them in captivity.

I paid $34 and worth every every cent too! (a natural history) Has he written any others? :)

Crikey thanks Fuscus, biology of frogs and reptiles sounds good, Ive gotta stock up. Thnx again! :D

Richard Shine is a legend. His book changed the way i saw snakes. I was already keeping snakes and lizards, but when i got his book i learnt so much more about them. Excellent info thats written for the layman. I got this book in 1993 and when i turned to the page with the pic of diamonds hatching, i couldnt believe the werent black with yellow dots! Amazing! This book is a "must have" along with John Weigels " Care of Australian reptiles in captivity"

Dr Shine has also written a species management report for NSW NPWS entitled " The biology and management of the diamond python and carpet python in NSW". Once you've read this you'll know everything about diamonds and carpets, PROMISE!! Its 50 pages of jam-packed info. I got my copy several years ago from Mike Swan Herp Books. I also have several of his scientific papers on diamonds.

Yep i also am halfway through it and it is the easiest book i have read on snakes I highly reccomend it to anyone :D

Fuscus said:
Praise it again. Worth a lot more than the $12 I paid for it :)
You wont let us forget will you fuscus :lol:

Das Gro?e Buch der Australischen Schlangen. Eine Naturgeschichte.

I HAVE to get this one! Anyone know what it is about?
:twisted:

I was talking about Rick Shine's book.... I'll take a stab though and say cooking? :)

Yeh is agree....its fantastic. Great read and some great pictures. I bought it at the expo. Well worth a read!!

Regards Alex

instar said:
Crikey thanks Fuscus, biology of frogs and reptiles sounds good, Ive gotta stock up. Thnx again! :D

You'll be lucky to find it, Inny. The Royal Zoological Society of NSW don't have copies left, and I can't find the publisher's website to see if they've got any. But it was printed in 1984, so they probably don't have any left.

If you do find some, they'll probably be expensive: Amazon.com knows of two secondhand copies being sold for $126 and $180 (that's in US dollars).

:p

Hix

Taronga zoo and the Australian museum usually sell copies of "The biology of frogs and reptiles" Its more of a scientific publication though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back