Axanthic Jungle , do they exist?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andynic07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
As the title states are there any actual proven axanthic jungles around and if so how would you tell the difference between a really white Julatten jungle and the axanthic jungle?

I don't think there are any proven axanthics around although there are a few possibles. I would be a bit skeptical of anyone who has a proven one, but would be happy to be proven otherwise.

As for the difference I'm not sure. Depending on locality, size.

I really love the Julattens, imo they are better looking then a black and gold.

Rick

they look similar to Jullattens and yes they are out there. Roger Leser has some

I really love the Julattens, imo they are better looking then a black and gold.

Rick

Ive seen 15yr old black and golds that are almost flourescent
Most adult Julattens end up black and ?????? cannot think of the colour but its not white

Are Julattens not axanthic?

No, Jullaten is a locality. I doubt the majority of B&W carpets in captivity are even from Jullaten.

Have the axanthics been proven? Or is this the same person who claims all sorts of carpet morphs (that just resemble wild animals) but hasn't proven any of them?

No, Jullaten is a locality. I doubt the majority of B&W carpets in captivity are even from Jullaten.

Have the axanthics been proven? Or is this the same person who claims all sorts of carpet morphs (that just resemble wild animals) but hasn't proven any of them?

I am aware Julatten is a locality.

However you'll have to forgive my ignorance, I'm simply trying to make a distinction.
By definition, axanthic individuals lack xanthophores, which produce the yellow pigment.

As Julatten locality individuals lack the yellow pigment, this would either mean that they possess xanthophores but simply exhibit a lowered degree of yellow or they are infact axanthic.

Would anyone mind clearing that up for me?

Being axanthic as we currently know it is a distinctly heritable trait (dom/recessive), not a result of locality based morphology that causes some Julatten animals to look similiar. These locality based morphologies operate on a graduated system rather then being distinctly heritable to my understanding.

Roger lester is anything but a shonk breeder, however having no knowledge of his breeding projects wont make any guess' on them.

I don't think we are talking about the same person... Roger is a solid bloke. Hopefully he chimes in and lets us know about his projects.

Yep on Rogers site he has pictures. They seem pretty simular to a Julatten with colours and tones.

Rick

If you take a look at Xtreme Reptiles facebook group Roger has explained a bit about the axanthic jungles that may clear things up a bit.

Pretty sure the last sentence is not reffering to me , so no offence taken. The simple way to look at it is that Julatten jungles are a locality colour phase and being a polygenic inheritance. True axanthic morphs are a recessive mode of inheritance. Cheers Roger. Heres a link with a bit more info..Axanthic Jungles - Roger's Reptiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back