axolotls

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cris said:
How did you get helmut to morph?
how long do they live in larvae state compared to "adult" form?
What do you feed them on after they morph?

he was fed thyroxine from memory. Dont know about lifespan but he is now 12. He eats crickets, fish and yabbies. He has to be hand fed because he couldnt catch a cold (a little stupid I think :wink: )

You used to be able to get them here in Adelaide and they did use a hormone to induce metomorphosis but due to this RSPCA or the Animal Welfare Committee brought in a law that stopped this under the cruelty to animals act thus making selling them these days in SA illegal. although every now and then you see them advertised interstate at a high price i might mention.

there is a difference between the slamander and axolotls. The walking fish that we know doesn't have the ability to morph. The salamander does however. They look very similar in the neonate stage though. They are illegal to keep in the N.T.

there is a difference between the slamander and axolotls. The walking fish that we know doesn't have the ability to morph. The salamander does however. They look very similar in the neonate stage though. They are illegal to keep in the N.T.
are you sure they are the same species i think?

Yeap they are the same, most of the local petshops around here are selling them morphed now for massive $$$

I remember a local petshop selling newts and green tree frogs not that many years ago (Im only 24)

morphing ax's

Ive done this back in about 1965 in Woonona a small town near Wollongong and got the ax's to morph to salamanders
From memory , First I got them to breed . Put a pair in a 2 foot aquarium with lots of weed.about 6 inches of water. lower the water about an inch a week to simulate a dry season. then when you are down to about 2" of water fill the tank to about 3/4 full rapidly and add big chunks of ice.
you are simulating the glacial floods which kick off them breeding in Mexico. it works .
they lay within days.
stringy eggs and slime bit like a canetoad. I removed most of the plants with eggs and left the adults in the tank and started to lower the water again for a second breeding round .
Then I wanted salamanders and put heaps of leaf litter in and just let the water evaporate.I cant remember the time frame but they stop eating and morph relatively quickly.

Hope this is of help

RE: morphing ax

My uncle did it several times when we where younger and he did it by feeding them a "Thiroid" treatment tabet
from memory it changed really quick, couple of days? Bu the did it several times I remember cause at the time
it was the coolest thing I'd seen, except fo Mr.Ed but seriousley what cooler than you own talking horse???

so are axolotls the only exotic amphibian you can get in aus or can we get other newts and salamanders?

sorry guys to disapoint and not having a shot here but they don't and more to the point can't morph....there is a difference between the two.. I even went and reconfirmed with a bloke I know who has been breeding them for years just in case I got it wrong but definately they can't. Also just as a bit of info the sperm is deposited and then the eggs are laid in it similar to salmon...can be as many as 500 at a time.

Sold at a highpriceis right lol, yay aftermy salamander post last nightive finally found somebody else who keeps these freaky lil critters, Olivehydra do you have a pic of his enclosure?

I used to morph them very successfully back in the late 70's early 80's using Thyroxin which is a thyroid drug. They even won the amphibian section at The Aquarium Society of NSW fish shows. They're much more interesting when they're morphed I reckon.

Cheers, Greg.

do u have any morphed ones for sale how much

The only placesi know ov downhere whohaveor do stock them morphed are, Upmarket pets, pails n mrw

make sure if u get the thyroxin you get the natural form, there is a synthetic form as well...
vets have it and it is relatively cheap. I can't remember the dosage, but it was half a tablet every 3 days with food and gradually lower the water level over 2 months. I found it best to have the axolotyls sitting on an undergravel plate that was raised off the bottom of the tank by placing it on a brick. have a good internal filter sitting under the under gravel plate to aid in oxygenation and keeping the water clean as I have heard this is especially important during metamorphosis. they look cool and seem healthy but are not very active.. if you change over the true gold ones, not the albino, the salamder has wicked gold dots.

You used to be able to get them here in Adelaide and they did use a hormone to induce metomorphosis but due to this RSPCA or the Animal Welfare Committee brought in a law that stopped this under the cruelty to animals act thus making selling them these days in SA illegal. although every now and then you see them advertised interstate at a high price i might mention.

There are salamanders at Glossop pet shop in South Australia. I seen them there about 4 days ago $130 each

An interesting string of conversation , yes you can still metamorphose Axolotls.
Just a bit of history ,
I used to breed Axolotls though the 70's & 80's , ranging from Whites, Albinos, Gold, Mottle, Slates & coffee coloured , but only transformed the white, Mottle & slate adults , as well as Gold Babies ( which I sold to St George Aquarium ).
My eldest Axolotl lived for 21 years, though my morphs life span ranged from 7.5-9 years , which is still a good innings.
Sure they don't 'do much, but at feeding time would jump at the food , mouth open with a sqeeking sound, which I found quite amazing.
In those days I had the opportunity working in the Herpetological section of the Australian museum , with my love for frogs, though I only knew of one other person who transformed Axys.
Anyway, there has been a lot of water under the bridge since then & I've started transforming a Slate , as he'd a bit savage towards the other Axolotls I have.
All signs so far are good , eyes protruding, fin & gill reduction , skin roughening etc , it is a slow process , takes about a month , as if its done too quick , they will die pretty fast .
Being my first for many years , I'll probably be keeping this one, but I will have others in various stages which I will eventually sell .
Also , I'm keen to hear from anyone who has recently seen Newts for Sale , either the European or Japanese or ? , that I used to breed as well , but haven't been able to see any of late .

my brother has had them before heaps. and they all die of fungal diseasese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back