axolotls

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you like do a search on Lake Xochimilco and Lake Chalco.
Check the size of the waterways in both wet & dry seasons. These are the natural waters of Axolotyls. And although much smaller than many years ago are still very large systems which could never in our life-time lose enough volume to induce morphing as you have suggested. As I said they would have to be forced.

Last edited:
hence there is so much writings about them being the only species to live their entire lives in larval stage.
This is not correct.

There are several species of salamander that exhibit neoteny. One species, Dicamptodon copei, has only ever been found in nature in the larval stage. Adults have been metamorphosed in captivity with hormone treatments.

:p

Hix

Just done a search and I stand corrected.

Apparently the conditions that lead to neoteny are high-altitude, lack of predation in the water, and dry conditions outside the water. Most neotenic populations belong to the Tiger Salamander complex of Ambystoma - Ambystoma tigrinum, Ambystoma velasci, Ambystoma mavortium, and their close relatives.

However you are correct in that there is several wholly neotenic species including the Axolotl, Ambystoma taylori, Ambystoma andersoni, and Ambystoma dumerilii.z and as you suggested Dicamptodon copei

Ok well none of the above should be morphed than, and my argument stil stands :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back