Baby Red Belly Black or????????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiousity

Reaction score
Black with red belly, light redish band behind head , approx 30cm long. We are not in a commonly black snake area so finding this little one was fasinating. The kids had one earlier and by the time I got to them it had taken off for safety. Hubby found this one (possibly the same one the kids saw) in the drive way. It had been ran over. Will get pics to post tomorrow sometime.

Pics???? Ooops my, rushed my first read and then saw the last sentence... :)

Pics I think are essential for a accurate but if had a band on the nape that could of been a Copperhead as some specimens possess this. Perhaps a location to might help.

almost sounds small eyed apart from the redneck, sure it's just not a cowboy smalleyed? :lol:

does the pink/red belly extend up the sides or not?

Sounds like a red naped snake, but we'd have to see pics for a positive ID, either that or a real crap guess from me :lol: Location would help immensely also ;)
It could be but they are not dark on the dorsum and the lowest part of the flanks tends to be a creamish colour and look rather different from red bellys. I think copperheads are a possible candidate but still it could be anything as I do not know the locality nor are there any pics up yet.

Last edited:
squamulosus don't have a band on the nape but have 2 markings on the neck that do not connect nor is it red if we are going of the descriptions told but a picture would definitely confirm what sort of sp it is.

Without pics I'd put my money on GOlden Crowned.

Without pics the only possible explanation is keelback people :lol:

But in all seriousness OP there is no possible way for an identification without seeing a picture. We can only guess and even that's completely dependant on your perception of the colours in your description.

And a general geographic location wouldn't you think Jedi?

I feel the need to murder people who say keelback on this forum. If only I could send anthrax through the interweb....

Even with the description, GeckPhotographer could still be right. People often see what the want/ expect to see when dealing with snakes, particularly if they only have a passing interest.

Hamilton not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Pics show as attachments when I view. I have resized so they are under 50kb without losing too much res

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 271654

I'm open to various sp, but a locality (where in western vic) and pics would give me more of an idea but I understand that curiosity is having troubles loading pics at this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Hamilton there is no red napes or masters so they are out of the question (nor did they fit the description) I could be wrong but the nape description makes me think a Austrelaps superbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back