Baby Red Belly Black or????????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the need to murder people who say keelback on this forum. If only I could send anthrax through the interweb....

Even with the description, GeckPhotographer could still be right. People often see what the want/ expect to see when dealing with snakes, particularly if they only have a passing interest.
What's wrong with keel backs , warning people someone on here will apparently murder you if you post a pic of a keel back and ask for an id

If its a keelback, cool. If its a moron with a low IQ 'being funny', anthrax it is....

well I guess I'm now treading on thin ****** whats a keel back? The only thing I want to see murdered here is technology. Burn down an exchange and the world slows.....to a grind

heres a pick of a Lowland Copperhead with a orangey-red nape and flanks not mine but a good example of what i am talking about.

Attachments

• 5297928133_2dcedff2ce.jpg
    5297928133_2dcedff2ce.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 136
well I guess I'm now treading on thin ****** whats a keel back? The only thing I want to see murdered here is technology. Burn down an exchange and the world slows.....to a grind

Haha, your alright, theres just a few dead heads who post the same rubbish over and over and over again because they think they're funny.
Have you get a photobucket account or something similar? Upload it and dump the link here, you dont even need it to show in the thread.

Keelbacks are colubrids but are not apart of the snake fauna in victoria i think its a bit of a joke people have been making.

We do get Coppers here but have never seen a young copper. The band has got me. Had two people look today and they say Tiger. It's not like a young tiger I have seen

We do get Coppers here but have never seen a young copper. The band has got me. Had two people look today and they say Tiger. It's not like a young tiger I have seen

Yeah tigers would be around there so it is certainly a possibility. If those 2 people are good at identifying snakes then i guess you have your answer.

Keelbacks are colubrids but are not apart of the snake fauna in victoria i think its a bit of a joke people have been making.

It's an old APS joke, nothing to do with their distribution or the snake itself, I find it annoying because half the dim wits that say it don't even realise why it was funny in the first place.

It's an old APS joke, nothing to do with their distribution or the snake itself, I find it annoying because half the dim wits that say it don't even realise why it was funny in the first place.
I shall reworded it because what I said before was a bit confusing. What I was meant to say was the thing about it being a Keelback was just a aps joke. But where I was getting to was that keelbacks are not apart of the Victorian snake fauna nor is any other colubrid for that matter (new comers might not get the joke).

Last edited:
P1010115.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Tell me I got it.......... From what has been discussed I'm with the Copper head. As far as forum jokes go and newbies I can wear them. I myself can run off with the scienticfic gentics and paterns of some other breeds but reptiles well I'm the ? in the corner.

View attachment 271697

- - - Updated - - -

Tell me I got it.......... From what has been discussed I'm with the Copper head. As far as forum jokes go and newbies I can wear them. I myself can run off with the scienticfic gentics and paterns of some other breeds but reptiles well I'm the ? in the corner.
It is a Lowland Copperhead (Austrelaps superbus) as I suspected.

Well picked Jordan. Spot on!

Curiosity, I don't blame you for thinking it was a RBB.
Copperheads do vary a lot in colour but they don’t tend to have the same deep glossy back that RBBs have and the top of the head is usually a different shade to the body colour. The side of the head in Copperheads will often be light in colour and show up the labial scales.

Blue

- - - Updated - - -

One like this Redfox, from the Museum Victoria site?
Coperhead pic.jpg

Over 26 years we have spotted one Copper (adult) doesn't mean by any means that they arn't about. Tigers on the other hand are a regular sighting. The head on this one didn't spell Copper to me but I guess being a youngster and the other being a (I'm a stick and hiding adult) the heads could look very different.

There is absolutely no shame in picking that specimen as a RBB. It is only on closer inspection that someone very familiar with both species would pick it. The band of colour across the nape says not a RBB. If you look carefully you can see the head is a dark tan rather than dark glossy black. In my limited experience, the ventro-lateral colours on Copperheads tend to be most intense on the front end of the animal, fading towards the rear.

I kept both as a kid and I reckon both are magnificent animals. They are very similar in so many ways. I think Copperheads are under-rated by most keepers for some reason. Add a decent water feature to your enclosure and it really brings out the best in them.

Cheers,
Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back