Baby turtle (warning extreme cuteness)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenmouse

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
told you .lol.
i have UVA 5.0 and all of the right food and water params. I have done a stack of research on turtles but still have one unanswered question.
Should i leave the basking (40w IR) light on at night or turn it off it gets to about 12 oC inside the lounge room at night in winter.?

Attachments

• DSC01676.JPG
    DSC01676.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC01679.jpg
    DSC01679.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 368
Suit yourself.
Do you think that any one species of where ever it naturally occurs doesn't get a cooler night time low than it's day temperature?
I presume you are using a water heater? Will this adequately maintain the water temp at the required temp overnight, seeing as by far the majority of turtles sleep in the water, not on their basking areas?
Basically, it doesn't matter what species of freshwater turtle that you own, the husbandry is almost exactly the same, with the exception of the heat range. This is how I knew what to reply without asking any more questions & getting the usual noob life story!
Your profile also has a listing of a Murray River Turtle, or do you think that people don't check?
Don't get me wrong, I question your motif for posting this thread.
Is it after help or to start an arguement?

Last edited:
if it was a northern yellow face or any of the northern species you just killed it with your advice. not here for argument .
just some good advice anyone?

I've got a kreffts, and when I was in Bris (i.e. before I moved to townsville for uni) he got ~12hrs of artificial light (i.e. UVB 10) on. If you are concerned about your little guy (very cute, might I add. I rekon baby turts are the cutest out of all herps!) just use the infrared (so you warm the air but don't emit light- lets the hatchy sleep but keeps the air warm to possibly avoid respiratory issues)

As Garcahill mentioned, do you have an aquarium heater? you seem to have done your research so I shall assume so :)

Goodluck with the little one :)

awww he's adorable! I cant wait until i can have my own turtle :)

night time means lights out.
Simple as that.
Heater in the water will keep temps suitable.

The turtle will or should be a lot bigger in 8 months so i would leave the light off at night time. Just to be anal its UVB thats 5.0 not UVA.;)

told you .lol.
i have UVA 5.0 and all of the right food and water params. I have done a stack of research on turtles but still have one unanswered question.
Should i leave the basking (40w IR) light on at night or turn it off it gets to about 12 oC inside the lounge room at night in winter.?

Dont get me wrong but i question your advice as i did not even mention the ssp. or are you that good.?

if it was a northern yellow face or any of the northern species you just killed it with your advice. not here for argument .

So why are you asking? It seems like you know everything already!

buy yourself a water heater to control the water temp keep the temp to about 24-27 and turn the basking light off at night also do yourself a favor and buy some NEC-t10 Uv lights the light type not the black lite the are alot cheaper then the commercial repti-sun fluros do the same job, good luck and keep researching as your 50c peice turtle will be the size of a dinner plate one day and if looked after proply will live for atleast 20yrs+
cya

Awwwww it is sooooo cute!! I know this is a pointless post, But it is so adorable!

thanks for the responses i have the water heated to 24-26 oC . i was just concerned about how cold the outside air gets at night time as this turtle is smaller than a 20 c piece (see 50c in foreground of photo)and could possibly freeze very quickly as in their natural habitat they would not be exposed to anything that cold until they are at least a couple of inches long.
My bad on the reptipet sun plus uv tube 5.0 it says 30%UVA .

Why would they not be exposed to low temps until they are bigger?

Why would they not be exposed to low temps until they are bigger?
good question , i doubt that they would even see temps under 15 c in the coldest of winter . as there are a QLD-NT animal and not something that can be keeped in a melb pond over winter .... i have looked into buying many diffrent turtles and was told all the same thing , anything other then a ELN [ eastern long neck] and a murry short neck nothing else would live in winter due to my ponds being outside.

told you .lol.
as long as u have the water heated then it should be fine . duz your tank have a lid/top?
as the water heat will help keep the heat in if it has a lid/top. well it duz with my green tree frogs . im guessing that when u say IR u mean infrared? if yes , then why arnt u using a propper sun globe to help give of a half decent sun/uv rays ........ then if your worried about temps use a IR for night heating ..........
but im no expert ..

Only thing you've got to watch if you keep lids etc on the tank, is that the warm water and air = high humidity, can lead to respiratory complications

Gee, you sure seem to know a lot for someone who asks such a basic question.

some1 prob said already i didnt read but just get a fish heater and i think u put the water temp like 24-26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back