Bad Shed Caused Clicking or Popping Sounds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ameron

Reaction score
Many persons have experienced popping or clicking sounds when their pythons breathe. Generally, this is an indicator of a respiratory infection (RI), but it is a HUGE mistake to assume that all such symptoms are caused by infection.

My Spotted Python recently had shed problems, with a dry patch remaining on his neck, and one eye scale not properly shed. He had NOT shown any pre-shed symptoms prior to his surprise shed.

One morning, to my horror, my python made popping sounds when he breathed. I noticed a grayish white area on his snout where it SEEEMED like he had been rubbing his nose due to congestion. Something seemed to be temporarily clogged his nostrils, forcing him to occasionally gape with his mouth.

I read the online literature and assumed the worst. Having paid $125 for him, plus $50 in heating supplies, I was quite unhappy to suddenly need to visit a veterinarian and pay for an injection of antibiotics, but I made plans to see the Vet the next day.

Fortunately, over night the true cause became apparent: bad shed. The next morning his nose color was normal; the dried scales had fallen off and he was breathing normally! One eye still had some dry scales over it, but most of that has since been rubbed off. I am treating his eye with a cotton swab dipped in glycerin.

If you hear of a python with these popping or clicking sounds, please do NOT assume that it is infected. Take the extra step and search for clues of an improper shed that is causing nostrils to be blocked.

1.0 Antaresia maculosa
0.1 Pantherophis guttatus (Carolina)
1.0 Elaphe schrencki

If you have a look at numerous threads here, you'll see that I and many other members always suggest that the pre-shed condition is the first point to consider when noisy breathing becomes apparent, if the snake is otherwise healthy.

I would suggest that glycerine is unsuitable for any skin-related problems - it is a dessicant, and will remove water from the area you actually want to hydrate. If you place the snake in a small tub of luke-warm water for an hour or so, you may be able to remove the remaining skin. You should not use any oils on a snake to assist shedding, because all it does is create a barrier between the moisture it needs, and the area to which you want it to go. Similarly, glycerine can sometimes have the effect of locking the skin down, because it can remove any moisture from between the layers.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back