Bad Shed!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SamGodd

Reaction score
Wahroonga, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
Basically my ~16 month old Water Python had a bad shed. Came off in pieces... Anyway, long story short I did a search on how to get the remaining skin off and I got most of it off just gently by hand but she still has a few single scales down her body that are stuck on. The eye caps are definitely off so that's not an issue. I just need to know is there an easy way I can get single scales off as trying to loosen them with my hand/warm washer isn't quite working. Thanks in advance!

My GTP hand a bad shed a few weeks ago, im not sure what you washed your WP with but i bathed mine in water and some olive oil which seemed to do the trick.

Depending upon the size of remaining skin and whether or not it is affecting movement the last little bits may just be left to work their own way of (as long as it isn't cutting circulation off. If you really want rid of it I have this 'reptimist' stuff i got from pet barn for my blueys. Its blue stuff in a spray bottle which moisturises the skin. A couple of treatments and the skin falls off nicely.

Any of the skin shedding spray is good but i prefer to soak my stimmy in luke warm water for 10 or 15 minutes. Only had to di it a couple times though.

Put it in a tub with luke-warm water for 2-3 hours, and they should just rub off if they don't come off while it's in the tub. Pythons can be soaked for up to 2 days without harm as long as they don't get too cold - the tub can be put in the enclosure to prevent chilling.

Don't use anything with oil in it (such as olive oil) - oil is water repellent, and the last thing you want is an oily film on the snake which will stop the water from doing its job. It's the water that softens the skin, not oil. Skin shedding sprays are just a waste of money - just a scam for new keepers.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back