Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I own English Bull Terriers & have been told to muzzle my "pitbull" when out in public by ignorant people who look at my little hurcules and think he must be vicious. i find it absolutely tragic what happened to that young child.... but that could have been any dog & any child... my mates 2yo son was mauled by 3 maltese terriers & a fox terrier... he was in a critical conditon & required blood transfusions & intensive care treatment... small dogs can do just as much damage to such soft skin....
moral of the story is not to get complacent around any dog/ animal as they can all do damage.... just sad thats all....

i had a friend of mine who bought a white and black pitty... and she was saying "it is NOT the breed, they are not viscious" etc etc.. well.. we didn't say much at the time (they were on a farm).. but the day DID come, not long after its 1st birthday, when it latched onto one of her young daughters! the child survived, but the pitty didn't.. this pitty was a yard dog only and very spoilt! .... unlike all other breeds, this breed was developed for killing only!... and i have heard over and over "my pitty isn't viscious, it is how you raise it" etc etc.. and then the dog bites!

and yes this was a purebred american pit bull...

n.b. the English Staffordshire Bull Terrier no longer carries the "bull" in its name, it is simply known as a staffy or staffordshire terrior...

Speaking of dogs losing it... my friend's neighbours have a dog called bonkers (ironically, apparently it is a beautiful and calm dog). It had never attacked anyone etc, beautiful temperament and it had been raised by responsible owners etc. These people also had loads of chickens and the dog had been raised with them and never really showed any interest in them, even when they were roaming, never aggressive towards them or attacked them or anything like that. Anyway, one day my mate came home to his neighbours (mum and daughter) out front of their house crying and hugging, so he asked what was wrong and the mum was like "Bonkers has gone mad!". Anyway, long story short my mate had to spend his Saturday afternoon cleaning up the remains of about 20 chickens that had been absolutely torn to shreds. I never found out from him what made the dog start his little rampage, I don't even think they would have known either. The dog is back to normal now anyway, and they haven't replaced their chickens.

this breed was developed for killing only!..

You are so wrong..... the Pitty is one of a few dogs that WERE NOT bred for killing. They were bred for bull baiting. This is to bring down and hold a bull, but NOT to kill it. When Bull Baiting was banned, THEN idiots got a hold of them and turned them into fighting dogs.

n.b. the English Staffordshire Bull Terrier no longer carries the "bull" in its name, it is simply known as a staffy or staffordshire terrior

Also wrong... The AMERICAN Staffordshire Terrier had 'Bull' removed from its name.... But the Staffordshire Bull Terrier's name remains the same, as per the ANKC. Get to know your breed standards before making statements you dont know the facts of!

Australian National Kennel Council

either ban the *dangerous* (or more likely to be dangerous) breeds, or making training (under certified trainers) mandatory under licencing. (this includes human children :p )

either ban the *dangerous* (or more likely to be dangerous) breeds, or making training (under certified trainers) mandatory under licencing. (this includes human children :p )

I would make mandatory licencing for owners of all dogs.
Simple ...... You want dog? So learn how to treat the animal properly and how to give it proper care and be prepared to be held responsible for any action your animal does.

That's nice in theory, should this be imposed on reptile keepers too? How many times do we hear of people who have no idea on how to keep reptiles, at least with dogs, in most cases there is a legal limit as to the number they can have and they require each individual to be registered! That's why people should buy from registered breeders who will be available to give advice and guidance and also impose contracts of sale.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some really good points raised, but seriously does anyone else feel this thread is just going around and around in circles now?

As somebody abouve has mentioned, pit bulls, along with most of their relatives were bred not to kill. Having lived in north queensland i had alot of exposure to these types of dogs when we used to catch pigs to feed the parks crocodiles. any dog that kills a pig would never be used again, the mean simply isnt sellable. well bred dogs wont hold their prey anywhere except the ears (this includes my 2 year old pitty cross) most people in rural areas up there keep bull arabs, pit bull crosses ect (although i had seen very few pure pitties i have never been a fan of pure breed dogs anyway) but the fast majority of "piggers" have young kids, hence the amazing qualities of bull arabs. while my girl may have amercan pitty in her, she comes from lines that have been bred in aus for a different purpose for genorations. its no different to the fact that pet german sheaprds and "working line" shepards are different, yes genetics has to lay a part but there are many genetic lines within a breed and very few pit bull type dogs in aus would have come from any line used in fighting

I own English Bull Terriers & have been told to muzzle my "pitbull" when out in public by ignorant people who look at my little hurcules and think he must be vicious. i find it absolutely tragic what happened to that young child.... but that could have been any dog & any child... my mates 2yo son was mauled by 3 maltese terriers & a fox terrier... he was in a critical conditon & required blood transfusions & intensive care treatment... small dogs can do just as much damage to such soft skin....
moral of the story is not to get complacent around any dog/ animal as they can all do damage.... just sad thats all....

I bet that never made the news, either. I'd hate to be a small child up against a foxy.

Here's the latest on this in Mexico...

It's the end for unregistered pit bull terriers in Victoria | Herald Sun

My Q is how exactly are they going to identify that the dog is a pit bull.....

1) It's unregistered so how are they going to find the dog?
2) If they find one how are they going to prove it's a restricted breed?
3) I live in Brimbank council and in all honesty they were investigated for corruption themselves and their a bunch of (insert apt word that would get me banned and probably branded as a restricted troll on the forum)...

This is now really giving me great concern as I have this dog and I was told by the ranger around my neighbourhood that "hey nice pitty mate, make sure you put a muzzle on it"

t11.jpg

IMGP2216-1.jpg

No he ain't a pitbull... no where near being a pitbull. Lucky for me his microchipped and registered with the council...
Good to see at least they are well informed in these new laws their going to enforce :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wonder how much reward money they get for dobbing in a 'restricted breed'...Love your Aussie bulldog Red-Ink such smiley dogs :)

Anybody else notice the chart in that article? Where there are less 'restricted' dogs there are actually more attacks, and less attacks where there are more of these 'dangerous' dogs.

Yeah guys... he's an Aussie bulldog.

The frieghtening thing is the Herald Sun in the hard copy ran a one page article with diagrams on how to identify a "pitbull" by conformation standards and description.
I had a knob here at work jumping up and down saying ban the breed as he reads the paper, I asked him what a pitbull looked like and he pointed to the description on the paper and said he would be able to indentify them from that and that he would dob people in....

I printed out the confirmation standards for the staffordshire bull terrier and gave him a copy (cutting out the breed name) and said "is this the same standards" he said "yes, they must have copied it from the page."

I then showed him the website on where i got the breed standard from and proceeded to call him a sheep and before he follows a law or dob somebody in he probably should know what the hell he's talkin about... Sadly that is going to be the general reaction of people out there given the fear mongering the media drummed up on this. Average Joe would'nt know a pity from a staffy or any other bully breed if it bit them on their behind yet it's out with the pitch fork and torches and kill them all...

Last edited:
That has certainly got me panicking. I have an old lady up the road from me that hates everyone and dobs people into the council for the most ridiculous things, leaves on the footpath etc. She really doesn't like me as I allow my lawn to get over two inches long at times and she doesn't like dogs. My Bull Mastiff x Bull Arab has already been called a pitbull. If she wants to be really spiteful she just has to ring the hotline and make up some rubbish about my dog and bam, it's all over. It is really scary this dob in your neighbor rubbish. My friends Uncle got his house torn apart at gunpoint with his little kids present and was then detained for 10 days without charge because he is an Indonesian Muslim and some racist neighbor reported suspicious activity to the terrorist hotline. Leaving this kind of thing in the hands of the public who have already been whipped into a fear frenzy by the media is going to result in a lot of heartache for families who own dogs that people perceive as dangerous.

Yeah guys... he's an Aussie bulldog.

The frieghtening thing is the Herald Sun in the hard copy ran a one page article with diagrams on how to identify a "pitbull" by conformation standards and description.
I had a knob here at work jumping up and down saying ban the breed as he reads the paper, I asked him what a pitbull looked like and he pointed to the description on the paper and said he would be able to indentify them from that and that he would dob people in....

I printed out the confirmation standards for the staffordshire bull terrier and gave him a copy (cutting out the breed name) and said "is this the same standards" he said "yes, they must have copied it from the page."

I then showed him the website on where i got the breed standard from and proceeded to call him a sheep and before he follows a law or dob somebody in he probably should know what the hell he's talkin about... Sadly that is going to be the general reaction of people out there given the fear mongering the media drummed up on this. Average Joe would'nt know a pity from a staffy or any other bully breed if it bit them on their behind yet it's out with the pitch fork and torches and kill them all...
Yep, and reading some of the comments on that article, people will deliberately do in staffies and the like because they think all those types of dogs should be banned.

The new laws today seem to have tried to make owners more accountable as well as stricter conditions on keeping these dogs. They are apparently constructing a profile of how these dogs can be identified.

You are so wrong..... the Pitty is one of a few dogs that WERE NOT bred for killing. They were bred for bull baiting. This is to bring down and hold a bull, but NOT to kill it. When Bull Baiting was banned, THEN idiots got a hold of them and turned them into fighting dogs.

How is he so wrong? They were bred for an aggressive temperament! It doesnt matter what they were first used for, the fact of the matter is they were bred for fighting and bull baiting and pig hunting and to have an aggressive nature suited to these uses. Even the name 'Pit' refers to the pits they fought in!

Last edited:
How is he so wrong? They were bred for an aggressive temperament! It doesnt matter what they were first used for, the fact of the matter is they were bred for fighting and bull baiting and pig hunting and to have an aggressive nature suited to these uses. Even the name 'Pit' refers to the pits they fought in!

Fact is heaps of other dog breeds were also bred for hunting, yet you don't see them being culled
take the Rhodesian Ridgeback, these were bred to take on lions.

The government is cracking down on potentially dangerous dog breeds that are unregistered and unlicenced.
If there is a problem then do something about...

Great danes were originally bred for one thing: Bull Baiting. But you never hear anything about them, as I guess that trait has been bred out of them.

Though I believe this thread is just beginning to repeat the same arguments over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back