Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see half these people identify the original old style pittbulls with their floppy ears and brown noses they could easily be mistaken for a lab cross. They are still some around today but they are harder to come by.
Yeah guys... he's an Aussie bulldog.

The frieghtening thing is the Herald Sun in the hard copy ran a one page article with diagrams on how to identify a "pitbull" by conformation standards and description.
I had a knob here at work jumping up and down saying ban the breed as he reads the paper, I asked him what a pitbull looked like and he pointed to the description on the paper and said he would be able to indentify them from that and that he would dob people in....

I printed out the confirmation standards for the staffordshire bull terrier and gave him a copy (cutting out the breed name) and said "is this the same standards" he said "yes, they must have copied it from the page."

I then showed him the website on where i got the breed standard from and proceeded to call him a sheep and before he follows a law or dob somebody in he probably should know what the hell he's talkin about... Sadly that is going to be the general reaction of people out there given the fear mongering the media drummed up on this. Average Joe would'nt know a pity from a staffy or any other bully breed if it bit them on their behind yet it's out with the pitch fork and torches and kill them all...

How is he so wrong? They were bred for an aggressive temperament! It doesnt matter what they were first used for, the fact of the matter is they were bred for fighting and bull baiting and pig hunting and to have an aggressive nature suited to these uses. Even the name 'Pit' refers to the pits they fought in!

NO DOG IS BORN AGRESSIVE.. Its STUPID owners and breeders that raise them this way... So because a pitbull was originally bred to bring down bulls but not kill, means they are aggressive? Does this mean because an Australian Cattle Dog is bred to nip at the heels of its herd of cattle make it aggressive? Or because an Irish Wolfhound was bred to drag men off horseback and kill elk and wolves, does that mean it is aggressive? Or the much loved Boxer, that was bred to bring down bear, wild boar and deer? The beloved whippet that is found lounging around in so many households in the world, it is a SIGHTHOUND bred to hunt and bring down small game.. Does that mean it is aggressive?? No?? I thought as such..

I think alot of people are so misled about the Pitbull's nature, and believe the rubbish about them being aggressive from the time they are born, that they forget to look at the dog that is in their own backyard.. So many people buy on impulse and dont read about the breed they are buying, therefore if the dog screws up, its that particular breed that gets the blame and the label 'dangerous', not the owner who should be banned from owning dogs full stop.

Funny how so many are quick to jump on the pitbull because they think they were bred to fight from day dot, which they werent...

But how many of you own a Staffordshire Bull Terrier??? Just about every second person in my suburb owns a staffy. I dont own one, but have plenty of friends who show them.. So many people recommend staffies as being GREAT family pets, and great with kids. I agree... they are a wonderful breed of dog, as loyal as dogs get.

How many of you know though, that the Staffy was seen in a dog fighting ring before the Pit Bull? Staffies were first used, to be set upon bulls at market as a way of tenderizing the meat, and also to provide entertainment for spectators...

This thread is just going round and round in circles.

There is only one aspect of the new legislation that will change the bite statistics, and it's not banning a breed, making a person pay for what their animal did, similar penalties to culpable driving, now that's more like it, especially when the general public see that more people owning Labradors, maltese terriers another breeds are fined and jailed because of the frequency of bites from these two breeds. We have more problems when we walk our rotties from small yappy dogs and people who have their dogs pull them around for the walk. At least our dogs have attended obedience school since we got them, have been socialized with people and are loving pets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great danes were originally bred for one thing: Bull Baiting. But you never hear anything about them, as I guess that trait has been bred out of them.

Though I believe this thread is just beginning to repeat the same arguments over and over.

Actually, Great Danes were originally bred for hunting Europe's Wild Boar, hence also being known as the 'Boar Hound'

i picked this dog up 2 weeks ago, saving it from the pound and found it to be very smart and gentle.The longer we have him
the more we are falling for him.An American Bulldog but walking him in public is so different to walking my outher long snouted dog.People always ask if he is a pbt, and quite a few will cringe when they see him. He has been attacked by a little mut in the leash free park where we go, didnt fight back, just let the other dog munch on him.I have only had him for a while but im convinced that while the power is there, this dog hasnt got any aggression in him,
Hope the link works,,, dogs & stuff | Facebook

This new approach is not going to help but as Sean just said, fining the mongrel owners will help

I added a pic of him incase the link dosnt work.

Attachments

• ghja.jpg
    ghja.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Love your post itty bitty, and ssssnakeman what an absolutely beautiful dog!!

It is a sad situation, and once it starts where does it end? Which breed will be next?

This thread is going to just continue to go around in circles because it's a subject close to the hearts of many. Unfortunately just not enough it would seem. Education is the key issue I believe.

Love your post itty bitty, and ssssnakeman what an absolutely beautiful dog!!

It is a sad situation, and once it starts where does it end? Which breed will be next?

This thread is going to just continue to go around in circles because it's a subject close to the hearts of many. Unfortunately just not enough it would seem. Education is the key issue I believe.
Exactly, what breed is next on the agenda, large breed dogs have been targeted by RSPCA for years, claiming that they are dangerous and that the best dogs are cross bred, however many attacks occur from cross bred dogs, but people will only name the dog that it look most like. The new legislation is a further worry, they are going after unregistered dogs....so how to they know where they are.....is this going to be a door to door search for the dogs?

Staffies love to fight

:lol: Well my boy missed that memo then cause he gets 'smashed' by not only my maltese x shi tzu, but also our cats, he hasnt got a fighting bone in his body! Yes, when we go on our walks, he goes 'crazy' when he sees another dog.......crying & doing the 'staffy talk'........he just wants to play though!

Bel, our Maltese Shih Tzu does the crazy talking thing every time she sees another dog!! It's all excitement and wanting to play!! :)

this is just rediculous i blew up when i heard it on the news and immediately called my 2 purebreds to come watch this "garbage" with me xD they are the most lovely dogs ever great with kids.
the call to ban this breed is stupid and if anything racist. its like calling for white or black or asian or any nationality to be banned from a country because of a few individuals that were probably raised poorly

Exactly, what breed is next on the agenda, large breed dogs have been targeted by RSPCA for years, claiming that they are dangerous and that the best dogs are cross bred, however many attacks occur from cross bred dogs, but people will only name the dog that it look most like. The new legislation is a further worry, they are going after unregistered dogs....so how to they know where they are.....is this going to be a door to door search for the dogs?

That's my worry with the way my dog looks and this new legislation....
I don't put a collar on him while he's in my yard and only collar him on walks.
The stupid Brimbank council ranger himself thought he was a pit, shows how much they know yet their the ones who have the power to jump your yard and take your dog...

I have now since this morning put his collar on him while he's in the yard (poor thing thought he was going for a walk) with the rego tag clearly visable.
If some numb nut looks into the yard, see's him and calls on the council for an APBT the rangers now have the power to go into the property and get him...

100% with you!!

Here's me playing with my 2 american staff's, they always get looked at like pitties (because of their history) but are great family pets! We have a 8 year old who plays with them unsupervised, can take food off them and can walk them. Its all how you bring up a dog!

Attachments

• IMG_5920.jpg
    IMG_5920.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 74
Saw this on the news this morning. Guess which breed is next....

Owner faces jail over Sydney dog attack

*apologies if I'm bad posting an external link, however it does show a picture of the animal in questions, and I would be extremely interested if anyone else thinks it looks nothing like the breed it is supposed to be...

Maybe we should have enforced genetic testing of all dogs, and a culling of all of those dogs that have genetic markers from a dangerouse breed's bloodline.

I can't take my pooch out without someone pointing/snickering and calling her a Pitbull. She is a Bull Terrier, these uneducated comments really frustrate me. I have people leave dog parks all the time when we go, doesnt bother me anymore, makes me laugh, Least we have more room to play.

( I have nothing against Pitbulls either!)

Saw this on the news this morning. Guess which breed is next....

Owner faces jail over Sydney dog attack

*apologies if I'm bad posting an external link, however it does show a picture of the animal in questions, and I would be extremely interested if anyone else thinks it looks nothing like the breed it is supposed to be...

Yeah Rottie my bum that's more like a heeler/shepherd cross, or some sort of major mongrel.

i have a mini bull terrier and a staffy and when ever i take one of them out for a walk i often get asked if its a pitbull , its so frustrating as people dont even know what the breed looks like and just assume it looks like one.

If you have a dog you can get its gene profile done and be able to prove to any official who asks that there is no pit bull in the dogs you own, it may be one of the safest things people can do who own dogs often mistaken to be a pit bull.....This new law is the canine equivalent to the Hitler reign.....kill off something just because its a particular type, there is no need for this, but there is a serious need for owners to stand up for all breeds of dogs, take responsibility for the dogs and properly train them. The number of people who cannot control their dogs astounds me! If you are going to own it, understand it, train it and care for it properly, regardless of breed or species. Its not a right to have a pet, its a privileged!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back