Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this on the news this morning. Guess which breed is next....

Owner faces jail over Sydney dog attack

*apologies if I'm bad posting an external link, however it does show a picture of the animal in questions, and I would be extremely interested if anyone else thinks it looks nothing like the breed it is supposed to be...

If that dog in the video is what they think a rottweiler looks like god help us all when the new laws come in.

If that dog in the video is what they think a rottweiler looks like god help us all when the new laws come in.

well the laws will stipulate the dog has to be proven to be a breed on the dangerous list, and uneducated media speculating about a breed does not constitute proof.

i remember back in the 90's every single dog attack that had a black/brown dog was instantly labeled a rottie i just wish that journalists and media actually told/reported the truth they should not be allowed to speculate or take sides they should all be reporting from an impartial and factual position.

well the laws will stipulate the dog has to be proven to be a breed on the dangerous list, and uneducated media speculating about a breed does not constitute proof.

i remember back in the 90's every single dog attack that had a black/brown dog was instantly labeled a rottie i just wish that journalists and media actually told/reported the truth they should not be allowed to speculate or take sides they should all be reporting from an impartial and factual position.

Actually its a case of you have to prove its not a dog of type on the dangerous breeds list. not a case of prove it is a dangerous dog. A couple of years ago, in Qld i think, there was a case of a dog deemed an APBT and was seized by rangers. I dont think the dog was registered but was microchipped. Even with DNA testing of this dog, the number of different breeds that came up in a purebred dog was amazing, one of which was allegedly APBT.

I have a purebred SBT with full papers that i got off a breeder that has been called a Pitty before. I have traced the line of my dog through quite a few generations, including a few champions along the way. Had the rangers at my neighbours house about his truck the otherday with my dog on leash out the front. The ranger muttered something regarding dangerous dog. I walked inside grabbed the pedigree papers and told him to read them. The look on his face was priceless.

Sorry to bump this thread up again, but just wanted to say something else.

The Australian Veterinary Association does not agree with BSL either: Cookie support required | Australian Veterinary Association
The Centre for Companion Animals in the Community, which was established by the AVA, shows that BSL does NOT reduce dog attacks.
Centre for Companion Animals in the Community

Other professionals and organisations that oppose BSL are: Dr Kersti Seksel, Dr Katrina Ward and Dr Robert Holmes, RSPCA ACT boss Michael Linke, Australian Veterinary Association, Australian Companion Animal Council, Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, American Veterinary Medical Association, American Dog Owner's Association and many more: Who's against BSL?

It's about time the government and people started listening to these people and organisations.

Here's a great aussie site working to stop BSL. Have a look and show your support.
BSL Australia | Information about breed specific legislation and breed bans.

Also they currently have a poll on yahoo asking if Rottweilers should be outlawed in Australia. Just shows how stupid BSL is and it'll go even further if we don't stop it now. Yahoo!7 News

Education is the key to reducing dog attacks, not banning breeds.

Last edited:
Breed-specific legislation is just unworkable. I have a friend who owns a mongrel which is supposed to be a cavoodle. She had a doggie genetic test done to see what breed it was from and one of the major components was staffy! It honestly looks like a dachshund crossed with a cavalier and who cares? The point is that it is a loving, well-trained dog which plays flyball and is a certified pet therapy dog. The deed is what counts, rather than the indeterminate breed.

I agree with the president of the APBT assoc. of VIC in that this is pure canine genocide, nothing more. It's pretty naive to target pit bulls when there exists a whole range of other breeds that are capable of the same damage. This isn't going to solve anything but drive owners further underground, the answer is responsible dog ownership & NOT the abolishment of certain breeds.

i believe no dogs are as bad as another.
all dogs are more than capable to harm someone or something.
the owner is the main reason the dog behaves the way it dose,
you raise the way you want it to be raised violent friends etc
but all dogs can turn weather there nice or friendly,

but my opinion is as soon as a dogs attacks a person or child i believe that the dog should be put down.
kris

but my opinion is as soon as a dogs attacks a person or child i believe that the dog should be put down.
kris

Does that count if the Person or Child was teasing/harming the dog and effectively instigated the attack?

Actually its a case of you have to prove its not a dog of type on the dangerous breeds list. not a case of prove it is a dangerous dog.

interesting the case of innocent until proven guilty does not apply :/

well i have always said that for 90% of the problems we have it all comes down to education and the other 10% is a good slap behind the back of the head to knock some sense into ya ;)

Can we please close this thred moderators? Circle after circle. Just keeps on going.

I agree, 99% of the time it is the owner or the dog being provoked and/or teased that cause them to attack or bite another dog/human. Your dog Rosie is gorgeous, if a dog is raised correctly then they are less likely to attack. We have had rotweilers for a long time, and it upsets us so much when any dog is put down because they have been mistreated and attacked somebody. Blind ignorance from some members in the community, mean that they don't want to look further than the facts the press present to them and this causes more problems than any dog or animal for that matter could.

The dog is Owner faces jail over Sydney dog attack is not a rottweiler. It looks nothing like one.

Last edited:
Nakerz, they are an impressive looking animal! I remember there was a really great movie out quite a long time ago now that had one of them as the "main" character. It was such an amazing animal. Apparently very intelligent as well.

ok i have an interesting point you all may like or hate. My best mate in the world is an american staffy x neo mastiff. Now if i wanted to go out and buy myself a Perro De Presa Canario i would be running the risk of having my dog taken and destroyed due to being a restricted breed. Now if you look at the breed history of this dog, it came to be the way it is today from people cross breeding an Old English Bulldog (Original pitbull) with a mastiff. Now, American Staffys and Pittbulls are very very hard to tell apart due to the various traits they can both carry, so with my logic of thinking, i have myself a beautiful,LEGAL,perro de presa canario. Breed legislation will never work nor win in the grand picture. Pittbulls get microchiped and registered as American Staffys, Dogo Argentinios get microchiped and registered as bull terrier x boxers ect. All a person has to do is look up the breed history of a "restricted dog" and go from there. BREED LEGISLATION IS DISCRIMINATION!

I agree that the dogs personality will in large part be determined by the owner and the environment it is brought up in, however that particular breed like several others has a genetic predisposition to aggression in the majority of animals, perhaps some breeds are not ideal for particular demographics or environments in our culture, i don't agree with distorting the breed, considering it has taken countless generations to produce it but perhaps it is good to decrease the breeding of the type purely for safety reasons??

however that particular breed like several others has a genetic predisposition to aggression in the majority of animals, perhaps some breeds are not ideal for particular demographics or environments in our culture
Alot of the naturally snappy dogs I have come across have been little dogs. They are not mistreated but if not well trained are extremely snappy due to being very nervous and fearful. They are just not deemed dangerous because they are not big enough to do damage. Naturally dangerous is a sad excuse to restrict a breed. I have never met a dog that was agressive from puppy stage just because it was in its nature to hate. The only naturally snappy dogs I have seen have been so because they are nervous and fearful creatures or very protective of thier owners and family and they felt that those owners are being threatened. Not because they love to fight and kill.

'Pitbulls and Parolees' on Foxtel - great show!

This thread is just going around and around but seriously, no one really listens, it's not going to be changed anytime soon.
I whole-heartedly agree that it is the owners that are responsible - has any research been done on their part about that particular dogs requirements. I highly doubt it.

And as it's been stated again and again, any dog can/will attack.

I grew up with a kelpie x something something something and he was charming and loyal and just a gentleman. He bit my friend on the hand (as a warning) because she ran her finger down his nose between his eyes... after having been told again and again not to do so because when he was a puppy, little children would poke sticks through the fence to scratch him on purpose!

As with people, respect them and they will respect you back.

And with what other people have stated previously, make it so people have to prove they are capable of owning a 'dangerous dog'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back