Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeluvver2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey
So i just recently found out that people keep bandy bandy's
Which surprised me very pleasantly.
Anyone have any info or pics would love to see some.

omg! love bandy-bandys! yes would also like to know about em. what on earth would you feed a captive one? (since there soo specialized and all)

ill i know is they eat blind snakes and there theses about 6 or so different subspecies (is that right?)

Not very common in captivity and like I told you in the other thread Jannico they are force fed (occassionally assist fed) on pinkie mice. I know of one case where they have actually taken pink mice when offered. Kept on a soil substrate so they can burrow, I believe there may be pics of captive ones in the elapids thread.

You can keep anything you want if you look hard enough to find it.

Not very common in captivity and like I told you in the other thread Jannico they are force fed (occassionally assist fed) on pinkie mice. I know of one case where they have actually taken pink mice when offered. Kept on a soil substrate so they can burrow, I believe there may be pics of captive ones in the elapids thread.

You can keep anything you want if you look hard enough to find it.

met a bloke who at the time was feeding his chicks if that helps he is the only person i heard of who had ever kept em. i always thought it was illegal (i know he kept his illegally)

not sure if his were assist fed or not, i am pretty sure he wasnt force feeding though as im sure it would have come up while discussing what it eats.

Last edited:
They are cool lil snakes.
I have held one.
As said on prev thread by myself and Mattsnake, they can be fed on rodents but it is an effort to do so. The person I know actually bred them, by accident. She needed special permission to get them in SA though. They were kept in a pretty basic click clack. Not sure about substrate though, if any.

Ah six i think and 5 are found up north.
Yer i thought they only ate blind snake too
but apprently (dont take my word on it) but they can be weaned on to rodents.

met a bloke who at the time was feeding his chicks if that helps he is the only person i heard of who had ever kept em. i always thought it was illegal (i know he kept his illegally)

not sure if his were assist fed or not, i am pretty sure he wasnt force feeding though as im sure it would have come up while discussing what it eats.

I wouldn't think that they would be capable of eating chicks? They only have a tiny little mouth. I believe Sonia Dewdney bred them in SA and she was the one that had them feeding (with a small amount of assisstance) on pink or fuzzy mice. I also know of one other person in QLD who has bred them but I'm sure there are others out there.

I wouldn't think that they would be capable of eating chicks? They only have a tiny little mouth. I believe Sonia Dewdney bred them in SA and she was the one that had them feeding (with a small amount of assisstance) on pink or fuzzy mice. I also know of one other person in QLD who has bred them but I'm sure there are others out there.

i have no idea man, ive never even seen one in person. as i said i spoke to a bloke and that what he said. only met him once. know he owned snakes because hes a mate of someone i used to know (realy stuffed his life up and now i dont talk to him). seemed to be telling the truth though and i have a pretty good BSometer. either that or i am confusing it with another snake we talked about... but im 98% sure it was the bandybandy because they do only eat snakes

Well I wont throw up any Bandy Bandy pics I have coz you've seen them in my other thread but here's a pic of an adults mouth to give you an idea of the size. This animal is dead by the way.

Ah what the hell...another head shot of a live snake :)

i have seen photos and they are beautiful looking snakes and after seeing closeup of the size of the mouth i agree it doesnt look like they can eat chicks. this bloke was either pullin my leg or i misheard him or some other explination in between but i do remember asking specifically (thinking he would say wild caught skinks or something, which i thought would be most logical) and him saying chicken.

I've had them do the defence pose for me before but from what I've seen it's only small bandy bandys that will do it for me...adults will just sit there.

I've dealt with bandy-bandies on 4 occasions, the mouth is tiny and sunken under the top lip (similar to black-headed pythons), an adaption to their burrowing habits. The ones I have come across are rather small, about the girth of a pencil, and about 20-30cm long. I think it would be improbable that they could even be force-fed chicks. Have assist fed them mouse tails, and pinkies, with pinkies being rather difficult as they have a tendency to burst open and get messy. Fuscus, your video does render you a semi-god, and that Bandy-bandy is the largest i've seen. Good work. Oh, and their eggs look like overgrown tic-tacs. :)

If bandy bandys didn't do they hoopy thing and have a nice pattern, they would be as crap as small eyeds, that head shot just proved what an ugly snake they are ;) Saying that I wouldn't mind coming across more this coming spring.

I've encountered about 15 Bandy-bandies in the wild. Some assume the position very quickly while other flat out refuse. The last one I encountered was a young adult who hooped as I was getting out of the car.

Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_BandyBandy_10.jpgAnimals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_BandyBandy_27.jpgAnimals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_BandyBandy_31.jpgAnimals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_BandyBandy_15.jpg

I would treasure having a pair of these animals.

I've seen about 30 wild bandy bandys and maybe had 5 or 6 hoop up for me, all of these ones have been small snakes that reacted as soon as they've realised I was there. The biggest I've seen was about 70cm long and actually had a spot on it's body instead of the trademark stripes.

I've seen about 30 wild bandy bandys and maybe had 5 or 6 hoop up for me, all of these ones have been small snakes that reacted as soon as they've realised I was there. The biggest I've seen was about 70cm long and actually had a spot on it's body instead of the trademark stripes.

Oh and there is no way you can compare them to small-eyes! Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back