Barking gecko behaviour changed suddenly

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me to understand what my gecko is doing or if its something wrong that needs fixing. Up until 2 days ago she would sleep in her hide, come out occasionally and fed like clockwork. Then a couple of days ago the OZpurple basking light blew so i replaced it the next day. The first thing i noticed was that i accidently bought a globe that was 60 watt as i didnt realise the last one was only 40 watt. it was when i put the new globe in that a few hours later she came out and moved to the back corner of her enclosure. After an hour or so she was still there so i coaxed her back into her hide just to double check if it was just a once off random act. However 30 mins later she was back in the corner. It was at that point I concluded that it was too hot in her enclosure so today i went and bought another globe that was the same as the first one (40watt) and assumed that would fix things...it hasn't and now im more puzzled than ever. Please, if you can help me to work out what to do as the family adore her and i would hate for something bad to happen that i caused and could have avoided.

Thank you for your time

(as you can see, the hide is in the middle and she is over in the back behind the fake cactus)

93058559_252349002772881_2993706953953247232_n.jpg 92986558_659653914871816_4698927288224317440_n.jpg

She is more than likely to hot and is trying to get away from the heat. Thicktails don't handle heat very well.

She is more than likely to hot and is trying to get away from the heat. Thicktails don't handle heat very well.

Ok, maybe time to look at building/buying a larger enclosure for her then.

Or lowering the wattage of the light. You can also just use heat cord under the enclosure at one end.

I would try a heat mat on one side or a lower wattage bulb as she is probably too hot from the new bulb. It’s normal for a gecko to move around the tank though, they like to have a gradient of temperatures to move between so they can thermoregulate. My boy has a hide on the warm side and a hide on the cooler side so he can choose, maybe try this too.

Back