Basking spot help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron B

Reaction score
Hey all ! My tank on the hot side is measuring 30 all day which means that my thermostat doesn't supply power to my ceramic bulb. MY question is : do snakes need a designated basking spot as long as the temperature inside is fine? Thanks

Hey all ! My tank on the hot side is measuring 30 all day which means that my thermostat doesn't supply power to my ceramic bulb. MY question is : do snakes need a designated basking spot as long as the temperature inside is fine? Thanks

Snakes ain't snakes.

Some snakes won't care, others will be thrilled, others will not survive long term. A hot end of 30 is usually sufficient for most species but there are so many variables and you've listed none. At a minimum, give species age, day/night temperatures and low end temperatures. Most snakes like to be able to get above 30 degrees but for most it's not absolutely critical. While the temperature is very iimportant, most snakes actually do better with it being provided by a means other than a basking spot, and the ones which do like a basking spot (in Australia that's primarily diurnal elapids which I'm guessing you're not keeping, and you probably have nocturnal pythons).

Hey mate, snakes need a way to thermoregulate themselves, which basically means to control their temperatures

This means you need both a hot spot and a cold spot - general guide is 32c hot end and 24c cool side

you might want to check out your thermostat!? whys it not providing power to your bulb?

ALso how are you measuring the temps?

Hey mate, snakes need a way to thermoregulate themselves, which basically means to control their temperatures

This means you need both a hot spot and a cold spot - general guide is 32c hot end and 24c cool side

you might want to check out your thermostat!? whys it not providing power to your bulb?

ALso how are you measuring the temps?
I'm measuring using a thermostat and a laser gun. The tank is next to my window but has black backing so the tank it's self is warmer. The cool end is 27 to 28 day and 24 to 26 night . Hot end is 28 to 30 day and 27 to 28 night

The tank is next to my window but has black backing so the tank it's self is warmer.

This is quite dangerous. Presumably the window isn't getting much direct sun if any or you'd probably be having big problems but having an animal enclosure by a window is always risky and generally leads to problems.

This is quite dangerous. Presumably the window isn't getting much direct sun if any or you'd probably be having big problems but having an animal enclosure by a window is always risky and generally leads to problems.
What sort of problems and risks?
[doublepost=1577514421,1577513957][/doublepost]The window is covered by a roller shutter which is only ever 10 inches up and I have a curtain covering the back of the enclosure. Will this still be fine ?

What sort of problems and risks?
[doublepost=1577514421,1577513957][/doublepost]The window is covered by a roller shutter which is only ever 10 inches up and I have a curtain covering the back of the enclosure. Will this still be fine ?

Temperature fluctuations, particularly high temperature spikes. The roller and curtain might keep it okay, it's impossible to be sure without seeing it. Generally speaking you don't want to keep any animal near a window, and ideally not adjacent to an external wall, but this is less critical.

Latest posts

Back