Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but there's a big difference between the two and a young person reading your post that has suffered this sort of abuse could walk away feeling that their problem is as trivial as someone killing a snake

I love how there is an uproar everytime a REPTILE is killed...what about all these other animals that get slaughtered everyday for no reason? Thousands of reptiles get killed on the road everyday by people, "oh my god theres a dead red belly on the side of the road, someone MUST have swerved to hit it!" - "Oh look another dead kangaroo five metres off the edge of the road, accidents happen, stupid thing should know to stay away from roads".

Oh and just to stay on topic I think Bear Grylls is an absolute douche as I made clear in the first Bear Grylls thread that popped up.

Agree 100% with you Matt, I bet most of you who replied to this thread have killed a snake in the past without even knowing, if you have driven anywhere in the bush, even just in farm area with a few trees and grass on the sides of the road on a warm night you have probably killed snakes unless you were going extremely slow looking for those little 20cm snakes and smaller ones. Bet you would hate field herpers, most that I know have cleaned up snakes, accidentally and killed them deliberately (To put them out of there misery)

So I doubt someone eating a snake from the wild is gonna do much, same impact as poaching a snake from the wild. As long as the animal being eaten doesn't just go to waste, there is no harm in it.

Yeah agree'd, he's a douche.

I don't exactly know what happened seeing as i don't watch the show but he shouldn't have been allowed to kill one since they are protected, i love how the law seems to make acceptions for television stars. At the same time i'm not against killing to survive, just not for television.

I think it's more to do with population, farming etc
Kangaroo's and other such animals are farmed to eat, reptiles arn't.

I love how there is an uproar everytime a REPTILE is killed...what about all these other animals that get slaughtered everyday for no reason? Thousands of reptiles get killed on the road everyday by people, "oh my god theres a dead red belly on the side of the road, someone MUST have swerved to hit it!" - "Oh look another dead kangaroo five metres off the edge of the road, accidents happen, stupid thing should know to stay away from roads".

Oh and just to stay on topic I think Bear Grylls is an absolute douche as I made clear in the first Bear Grylls thread that popped up.

I don't agree. I think most people that don't like him are like me and don't like it when he kills any animal, not just reptiles. Anyway, you shouldn't be shocked, this is a reptile forum, there's bound to be reptile lovers here. It's just like a dog person would get upset if you hacked a puppy to bits in front of them.

and about the uproar thing.. i've gathered the opposite, sure reptiles are protected but alot of australians would much rather see a reptile go than a mammal, you know.. because they arn't cute and fluffy.

I don't agree. I think most people that don't like him are like me and don't like it when he kills any animal, not just reptiles. Anyway, you shouldn't be shocked, this is a reptile forum, there's bound to be reptile lovers here. It's just like a dog person would get upset if you hacked a puppy to bits in front of them.

That post wasn't actually refering to Bear but peoples attitudes in general on this forum.
I'm not shocked at all, yes its a reptile forum and I, myself am a reptile lover (obviously) but I am also an animal lover...what makes a native reptiles death any more important than the death of any of our other native fauna?

and about the uproar thing.. i've gathered the opposite, sure reptiles are protected but alot of australians would much rather see a reptile go than a mammal, you know.. because they arn't cute and fluffy.

I meant in regards to this forum.

Yeah agree'd, he's a douche.

I don't exactly know what happened seeing as i don't watch the show but he shouldn't have been allowed to kill one since they are protected, i love how the law seems to make acceptions for television stars. At the same time i'm not against killing to survive, just not for television.

I think it's more to do with population, farming etc
Kangaroo's and other such animals are farmed to eat, reptiles arn't.

Kangaroo's are not farmed, they just have people go out and shoot them, Better eating roo then eating cow! Environmentally friendly is the way to go!

That post wasn't actually refering to Bear but peoples attitudes in general on this forum.
I'm not shocked at all, yes its a reptile forum and I, myself am a reptile lover (obviously) but I am also an animal lover...what makes a native reptiles death any more important than the death of any of our other native fauna?

Nothing. Well, unless the reptiles in question are more in danger of extinction than other fauna. The only animals I could ever even imagine killing are fish, but that's because I've fished most of my life and grown up with it. Still, I've never killed any animal and will avoid it as best as I can for the rest of my life. I hate people that kill for fun or money tbh.

Kangaroo's are not farmed, they just have people go out and shoot them, Better eating roo then eating cow! Environmentally friendly is the way to go!

Maybe people should pay a visit to western QLD and see what cattle are doing to out native reptiles natural habitat out there?....Should we then start an angry thread about that....I HATE YOU COWS!!

Ok back to the argument on Bear Grylls. I do not like him because

- He kills animals and then wastes them, If he ate them all I wouldn't care
- The show is fake; I don't like being lied too
- He does unnecessary things to "survive", like the other night he walked into a dark abandoned mine to "find supplies"

Maybe people should pay a visit to western QLD and see what cattle are doing to out native reptiles natural habitat out there?....Should we then start an angry thread about that....I HATE YOU COWS!!

yep cows do much more damage then Bear Grylls will ever do, if you eat cows, you are killing reptiles by supporting farmers to clear habitat, then have cows trample all over it.

Nothing. Well, unless the reptiles in question are more in danger of extinction than other fauna. The only animals I could ever even imagine killing are fish, but that's because I've fished most of my life and grown up with it. Still, I've never killed any animal and will avoid it as best as I can for the rest of my life. I hate people that kill for fun or money tbh.

Thats because fishing is a common past time and has been around since the dawn of man....and why did fishing originate? For food. The aboriginals in far north QLD fish for Arafurae File Snakes for food.
I am also against killing for fun or money but livestock are all killed for money and they are still animals. I can't say that I've never killed an animal, I do a lot of herping and have accidently ran over a fair few reptiles and also put injured reptiles out of their misery....should I now be flamed for this? Ive also hit birds and kangaroos but no one cares about them.

Thats because fishing is a common past time and has been around since the dawn of man....and why did fishing originate? For food. The aboriginals in far north QLD fish for Arafurae File Snakes for food.
I am also against killing for fun or money but livestock are all killed for money and they are still animals. I can't say that I've never killed an animal, I do a lot of herping and have accidently ran over a fair few reptiles and also put injured reptiles out of their misery....should I now be flamed for this? Ive also hit birds and kangaroos but no one cares about them.

I care about birds, I saw at least twenty dead magpies on a trip to Adelaide once. But Kangaroos I kind of understand, we slow down when we see them on the side of the road, but the stupid things always run out in front of the car. The could at least stand still. Like 'oh crap a car... what do we do? I KNOW! let's run in front of it' they're the world's most stupid animal, I'd still never kill one on purpose though.

At the end of the day the show is about SURVIVAL, by killing what ever animal he kills it is showing you how to eat and take the animal/reptile (FOOD) out quickly!!!!!!!! its not about how much he eats he is showing you how to do it if you ever find yourself stuck somewhere without an easy exit. i love reptiles but if i was starveing in the middle of nowhere i know what i'd do i would SURVIVE!!!

I care about birds, I saw at least twenty dead magpies on a trip to Adelaide once. But Kangaroos I kind of understand, we slow down when we see them on the side of the road, but the stupid things always run out in front of the car. The could at least stand still. Like 'oh crap a car... what do we do? I KNOW! let's run in front of it' they're the world's most stupid animal, I'd still never kill one on purpose though.

See now thats double standards isn't it? :)
Have you ever seen a snake on the road? They are not easy to see even when you are driving at 40km/h and looking for them. Reptiles will sit on the road for heat and therefore get run over....animals dont know what roads are for so they end up dead.

Anyway this meant to be about Bear Grylls being a tosser so carry on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back