Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day the show is about SURVIVAL, by killing what ever animal he kills it is showing you how to eat and take the animal/reptile (FOOD) out quickly!!!!!!!! its not about how much he eats he is showing you how to do it if you ever find yourself stuck somewhere without an easy exit. i love reptiles but if i was starveing in the middle of nowhere i know what i'd do i would SURVIVE!!!

Yeah, you do know that. We all know that. We don't need some guy to show us 100 times. I mean, how hard is it to realize that meat comes from animals, if you need someone to tell you that you wont survive. We all know that meat comes from animals, we all know blades and rocks kill things. If anybody needs somebody to point that out over and over and over again they shouldn't be out in the wild should they?

See now thats double standards isn't it? :)
Have you ever seen a snake on the road? They are not easy to see even when you are driving at 40km/h and looking for them. Reptiles will sit on the road for heat and therefore get run over....animals dont know what roads are for so they end up dead.

Anyway this meant to be about Bear Grylls being a tosser so carry on...

Haha yeah I have seen them, and if people accidentally kill reptiles I don't mind, just the same as if they accidentally kill kangaroos or birds. But if people do it on purpose for fun, if they swerve to try and hit reptiles, birds, kangaroos, or any other animal on the road, that I don't like. I was just saying that I understand how hard it is to not hit an animal when you have ten of them running in front of you from both sides of the road haha.

I wonder what would happen if i posted more PeTA video's on the site... People would hunt me down. So just one thing all you people who say you love animals and complain when there killed, what have you acctually done to try and prevent it other then bag someone out??
I dont like Bear Grills (i wonder if thats acctually his name), looks like a publisity stunt to me. But still stop complaining especially since alot of you are bias based on the animals you like, and if you really do care then do something.

I wonder what would happen if i posted more PeTA video's on the site... People would hunt me down. So just one thing all you people who say you love animals and complain when there killed, what have you acctually done to try and prevent it other then bag someone out??
I dont like Bear Grills (i wonder if thats acctually his name), looks like a publisity stunt to me. But still stop complaining especially since alot of you are bias based on the animals you like, and if you really do care then do something.

I wish I could do something, but I have too much on my plate already. I'm at University and looking for a job, when I have a job I'll have even less time. And although I'd love to help, time is valuable and so I can't volunteer anywhere.

This thread has sparked some UPROAR ? so i will tru to explaine some things ?

This new Episode will feature BEAR GRYLllS in australia is to be filmed in Arnhem Land

The general format of each episode is the premise that Grylls is left stranded in a region. The episode documents his efforts to survive and find a way back to civilization, usually requiring an overnight shelter of some kind. Bear also tells about successful and failed survivals in the particular area which he is in.
Each episode takes about one week to ten days to shoot. Before each show the crew does about a week of reconnaissance, followed by Bear Grylls doing a flyover of the terrain. Grylls then undergoes two days of intensive survival briefings. "I spend two days on location prior to dropping in – I go through all the safety and comms briefing as well as being briefed on local conditions, and flora and fauna by local rangers and a local bushcraft expert." He is followed on the program by a cameraman and a sound engineer, also with a safety consultant. To show various survival situations, some aspects of the show are staged. [9] Directors oversee location filming and the final edit of each program. Season One directors included Dominic Stobart, Scott Tankard and Mark Westcott. Bear Grylls said, "I suppose to bear in mind that this is a worst-case scenario show, and therefore, of course things have to be planned. Otherwise, it would just be me in the wild and nothing happening, you know, ’cause textbook survival says you land, you get yourself comfortable, you wait for rescue, you don’t do anything. It would be a very boring show. The show is how to deal if you fall into quick sand, if you get attacked by an alligator, if you have to make a raft. I get a really good briefing before we go. I know there’s a big river there, there’s gonna be a great cliff climb there, there’s loads of snakes in those rocks, watch out for an alligator. So I do have a good idea of 80 percent of what’s gonna happen." Furthermore, contrary to onscreen presentation, his movements are rarely from Point A to Point B: "We plan it, if we’re doing different locations, sometimes we’ll have to do a whole crew move and get a helicopter. Again, we’re talking huge distances sometimes. So we’ll use helis when we have to. They’ll go out three weeks ahead of me, and go, “That bit’s no good. Those rapids we thought are gonna be good are boring, but down there, it’s great.”[10] In April 2008, Grylls and Discovery released a book that includes survival tips from the TV show. In June 2009, Grylls had a special co-host—Will Ferrell—in episode 41, the season 5 premiere called Men vs. Wild

Criticism
The show has been criticized for fabricating some of the situations in which Grylls finds himself. In 2006 a Born Survivor crew member admitted that some scenes in episodes were misleading, indicating to viewers that Grylls was stranded in the wild alone when he was not. [11] The issue of scenes being manipulated was also raised by Mark Weinert, a U.S. survival consultant. One example he gave was of a raft allegedly being put together by team members before being taken apart so Grylls could be filmed building it. Other scenes that have been criticized include:
  • Grylls was shown trying to lasso "wild" mustang in the Sierra Nevada that were in fact tame and had been hired from a trekking station nearby.[12]
  • A scene where Grylls was purported to have escaped from an active volcano by leaping across lava, avoiding poisonous sulphur dioxide gas, was actually enhanced with special effects, using hot coal and smoke machines.[13][14]
  • Similarly, another episode gave viewers the impression that Grylls "was a 'real life Robinson Crusoe' stuck on a desert island", while in reality he was on an outlying part of the Hawaiian archipelago and retired to a motel at night.[15][16]
[edit] Show's response to criticism with changes

In response to these early criticisms, Discovery and Channel 4 aired re-edited episodes, removing elements that were too planned, with a fresh voice-over and a preceding announcement pointing out that some situations are "presented to Bear to show the viewer how to survive".
Following criticism in the media in July 2007 about elements of the show's first season, British Channel 4 temporarily suspended the show's second season for a few weeks, promising clarification and transparency in the production and editing of the show.[17] The channel responded to criticism of the show by pointing out that Grylls conducted all of his own stunts, many of which put him in perilous conditions, and that the show was not a documentary, but a "how-to" guide to "basic survival techniques in extreme environments."[18] The channel issued a statement saying that:
"The programme explicitly does not claim that presenter Bear Grylls' experience is one of unaided solo survival. For example, he often directly addresses the production team, including the cameraman, making it clear he is receiving an element of back-up."[19]
The Discovery Channel also responded to the criticism by announcing that future airings would be edited (including a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode) so as not to imply to viewers that Grylls was left alone to survive during production of the show. Since then, Grylls has stated on camera when he has received assistance in order to demonstrate survival tactics or when he is exiting the setting for a period of time due to safety concerns. Grylls also tells the cameras filming behind the scenes footage how the film crew sometimes assists him in order to film certain sequences.[20][21][22][23]
The Discovery Channel also released behind the scenes footage showing how sequences of Man Vs. Wild are filmed. In the footage, while setting up a scene, each production crew member is introduced and their role is briefly explained, including a safety consultant who served in the Royal Marines. During the scenes, Bear Grylls tells how each crew members' role ensures his safety while he explains survival tactics. The footage includes open discussion over safety and other precautions.
On August 3, 2007, Grylls posted on his blog that the "press accusations of motels and stagings in the show that have been doing the rounds, all I can say is they don't always tell the full story, but that's life and part of being in the public eye I guess."[24] In response to allegations of spending nights in local hotels as opposed to staying in the shelters built during filming, Grylls clarifies in an article in the December 3 issue of People Magazine that:
“Episodes take about ten days to tape, explains Grylls: “The night stuff [shown on camera] is all done for real. But when I’m not filming I stay with the crew in some sort of base camp." Episodes now clarify when Grylls gets support from his crew and when situations are staged, “We should have done that from the start,” he says. “The more you see, the more real it feels.””[25]

PLEASE CONSIDER THAT ALL FILMING WILL BE MORE THAN LIKELY ON ABORIGINAL LANDS PROTECTED FROM NON INDIGENOUS PERSONS ( THE TRIBAL ELDERS IN REMOTE COMMUNITIES WOULD HAVE TO APPROVE APPLICATION TO FILM AND HUNT, EAT, RECORD WITH EXPRESS PERMISION BY THE ABORIGINAL LANDS COUNCIL , YES AS ABOVE THE SHOW IS NOT A DOCUMENTRY BUT ADVENTURE SHOW WITH SURVIVAL SKILLS FOR ENTERTAINMENT , THIS IS A HIGH PROFILE SHOW AND WITH SUCH PUBLICITY WITHOUT FILMING PERMITS AND RECORD RIGHTS (LICENCE ) THE ABORIGINAL PEOPLE WOULD NOT ALLOW HIM TO FILM ?
YES I AGREE THAT I HAVE WATCHED ALL EPISODES AND HATE IT WHEN A REPTILE IS KILLED ? OR ANY ANIMAL THAT IS KILLED FOR VIEWING ENTERTAINMENT ??????

Try and explain or copy and paste from somewhere else? :p

He's Basically saying that Bear Does admit and make it easily accessable of when and how he is assissted during the course of the show.

yeah your right mat,but this explains a little more than just fighting between two parties, for the persons that havnt seen what most have on the show ?

this should stop the bickering ??

who are you just trying to attack anyone ???

I dont think i was. Didnt i say not long ago to do something other than bag people out. Im sure i did. Now just everyone pause and think seriously what was this tread originally about??
And yes i do know as soon as Bear Grills is mentioned there is certain controvercy ahead but lets have a go shall we.

i like the show, great show - probably my fave show
to say the truth, i dont really care what he kills, i know its wrong though

yeah your right mat,but this explains a little more than just fighting between two parties, for the persons that havnt seen what most have on the show ?

this should stop the bickering ??

who are you just trying to attack anyone ???

Nobody is attacking anyone ?????

We're just having a heated discussion ??

Most of us agree that killing the animals for pure entertainment like that is wrong. And from what I've seen most of us still don't despise the show.

PLEASE CONSIDER THAT ALL FILMING WILL BE MORE THAN LIKELY ON ABORIGINAL LANDS PROTECTED FROM NON INDIGENOUS PERSONS ( THE TRIBAL ELDERS IN REMOTE COMMUNITIES WOULD HAVE TO APPROVE APPLICATION TO FILM AND HUNT, EAT, RECORD WITH EXPRESS PERMISION BY THE ABORIGINAL LANDS COUNCIL , YES AS ABOVE THE SHOW IS NOT A DOCUMENTRY BUT ADVENTURE SHOW WITH SURVIVAL SKILLS FOR ENTERTAINMENT , THIS IS A HIGH PROFILE SHOW AND WITH SUCH PUBLICITY WITHOUT FILMING PERMITS AND RECORD RIGHTS (LICENCE ) THE ABORIGINAL PEOPLE WOULD NOT ALLOW HIM TO FILM ?
YES I AGREE THAT I HAVE WATCHED ALL EPISODES AND HATE IT WHEN A REPTILE IS KILLED ? OR ANY ANIMAL THAT IS KILLED FOR VIEWING ENTERTAINMENT ??????
[/INDENT]

In my opinion Australian land is Australian land. Are the indigenous people on 'indigenous land' really immune to Australian law? If so, that's terribly racist and discriminatory. No wonder our country is split, even our government is segregating indigenous people. Throwing the 'melting pot' idea out of the window, giving indigenous people their own land and laws. It's discriminating against non-indigenous Australians, obviously, and also discriminating against indigenous Australians by segregating them like that.

So, he broke the law and killed and ate a wild Australian snake and they let him back in the country? And they wont even let Snoop Dogg come here to do a concert. Pathetic.

Thats because instead of ticking the box asking about bringing in vast quantities of weed he wrote "for shizzle my nizzle that ___'s off the hizzle" in a 44 mag texta. It was also believed that he couldnt speak english and was associated with an unqualified doctor working in a unauthorised lab.

In my opinion Australian land is Australian land. Are the indigenous people on 'indigenous land' really immune to Australian law? If so, that's terribly racist and discriminatory. No wonder our country is split, even our government is segregating indigenous people. Throwing the 'melting pot' idea out of the window, giving indigenous people their own land and laws. It's discriminating against non-indigenous Australians, obviously, and also discriminating against indigenous Australians by segregating them like that.

Wow what a debate that paragraph could create...

geez the third bear grylls debate in almost as many weeks people on this forum must be runnin out of decent sh.t to talk about.

Being racist is the new fashioned way of not being racist. Although there is actually no widely accepted grounds to split humans into various races, so its actually just locality or genetic descrimination.

Come on people ;)

[video=youtube;sonYFxHHvaM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sonYFxHHvaM[/video]

By the way, good to see the debate is still going (I was off watching lost), we need a thread to debate about religion, politics, races, countries, animals, views etc all in one. Would be great, nothing beats a good online argument!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back