Bearded dragon, blue tongue or any other ideas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearded dragon vs blue tongue

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

billygt

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone im new to this site [noob alert:oops:] and ive been doing TONS of research over the two lizards and im still debating over the 2.
i have other reptiles so im not new to the passion but i want something with personality.

if you have any other great reptiles leave them below as well

im not looking for snakes at the moment
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Billy......

Both are cool lizards with a lot of personality, and both are very handleable. Other suggestions would be a monitor or eastern water skink. Depending on your circumstances what size monitor, but ackies are great smaller monitors, and sand monitors (gouldii) or even Mertens' have stacks of personality, and are ok to handle.

Can't vote ..... I think both are just as good as companion pets. See PF's response.

You can get by with lower basking and zone temperatures for a BTS, and less UVB (5% is perfect) for BTS. BTS do climb, but can make do with tank that is not as tall as beardie needs, and BTS love a mixture of course Kritter's Krumble + gum tree leaf litter . If they breed , no incubator is needed , as they give birth to baby BTSs.

Water skinks are great too , my recently passed on old lady Wriggles the Water Skink was a fabulous little pet who had loads of personality, was uberfriendly and ubertame and super-affectionate and really inquisitive and cleaver too. (I really miss her.) https://aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php/218685-A-Change-of-Plans?highlight=water+skink

Last edited:
[MENTION=42420]billygt[/MENTION] As Pinefamily mentioned, monitors are good lizards to consider too, they are very intelligent and have been described as having a variety of personalities. But it depends on the constraints you have such as time/money/space ect, if you like the size of bearded dragons/bluetounges, An Ackie monitor is a good choice IMO, although they do cost a fair bit more. They have been described as having a big monitor's personality in a small monitor's body, for these reasons i'm looking into getting one myself!

thanks [MENTION=42160]Iguana[/MENTION], [MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] and @kingo***obbys,
i like the idea of monitors!
how much roughly would bts, bd and monitors cost.
im so phcyced for getting my first lizard:D:D:D

thanks @Iguana, @pinefamily and @kingo***obbys,

Glad to hear you are looking forward to it! Depends on if you wanted a specific morph/locality, generally your average BT would be around $50-90, a BD around the same price range as well. But if you wanted something like a western BT or a leatherback BD, the prices will go up, although I can't say how much specifically as it depends on the breeder.
As for something like an ackie, you are looking at around $300-350, although I have seen them for $250 at reptile expo's. Most monitors aren't cheaper than that, although I've seen some cheaper black headed monitors floating around.

[MENTION=42160]Iguana[/MENTION] yeh I'm not sure if I'll look to get a morph. My eastern snake neck is a hypo pastel. Probably not for the first one but if I decide to breed them (it's pretty likely).

thanks @Iguana, @pinefamily and @kingo***obbys,

BTS babies / juveniles seen them selling from $50 up to $1000 (for special ones)
Central beardy hatchlings / juveniles .... from $80 and even more (for special ones)
pygmi beardy hatchlings / juveniles .... a little more than centrals (fewer in the hobby)
small monitors add a zero to the above prices.... not cheap and hard to find/
water skink babies / juveniles about $50 .... hard to find , not many breeders in hobby

thanks, which one do you think has the most personality
Of all mine , only Wriggles would come back to me when I called her by name, not seen a beardie or bluetongue do that.

She REALLY listened when we spoke to her, and loved play time on her daddy.

For my money water skinks are very large when it comes to character and personality , and they are not so large as to be intimidating (she was perfect shirt pocket size :) )

Last edited:
If u want something different have a look at shinglebacks, they act the same way as BT but have a different look.

Pink tongued skinks. Just got my little guy a few weeks ago and he's slowly handling better, I haven't been bitten since his first handling and he only really gets nervous when there's lots of movement around him.

fd7b0303920383fa0cb9179ecc370dc3.jpg

Gorgeous little guy. I ❤️ him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone im new to this site [noob alert:oops:] and ive been doing TONS of research over the two lizards and im still debating over the 2.
i have other reptiles so im not new to the passion but i want something with personality.

Define exactly what you mean by "personality"? What exactly are you looking for in a pet lizard? Does it have to be a species that tolerates handling? Does it have to be a species that is easy to care for and has few special needs? Does it have to be relatively active or lazy? Does it have to be an animal that is constantly on display? Does it have to be an animal that is easily hand-fed? The questions can be endless.

Blue Tongues and Bearded Dragons are often noted for being tolerant of handling. In my experience, when they are adults some can be relatively "lazy" and don't move around a lot. Blue Tongues also like to hide or bury under the substrate. Bearded Dragons tend to stay out in the open so make great display animals. Monitor lizards on the other hand, in my experience, are constantly active and seem to always be on the move. However, shy species or individuals may not make great display animals as they can hide constantly if not comfortable in their surroundings. They also generally don't take well to handling, although some individuals will tolerate it if they trust you.

Since they haven't been mentioned yet, I'd recommend Netted Dragons. They are constantly on display, highly active, and are brightly coloured. They're not much of a handling animal, in my experience, but they do become trusting and and tend to "enjoy" interacting with you. They can really perk up when they see you walk by and when you're about to feed them.

I really want one I just can't find any breeders

- - - Updated - - -

Shingleback sand I like that idea I'll do some research on them [MENTION=41840]Oshkii[/MENTION]

Some great replies above.

Feeding wise, beardies and blueys (including shinglebacks) need protein and salads/veg/fruit for balanced diet. I'm no sure if this is relevant for you but we decided to get a blue tongue (get an alpine/highlands blotched - they're beautiful!) rather than a beardie because blueys can thrive on a diet of dog food for the protein component whereas dragons need to be fed live crickets.

Let us us know how you go :)

- - - Updated - - -

You could also consider getting a species that has natural distribution in your area as conditions will be suitable and care may be a little easier. But my suggestions are probably more for those thinking of a first reptile rather than yourself (although I'm not sure what other reptiles you have).

Some great replies above.

Feeding wise, beardies and blueys (including shinglebacks) need protein and salads/veg/fruit for balanced diet. I'm no sure if this is relevant for you but we decided to get a blue tongue (get an alpine/highlands blotched - they're beautiful!) rather than a beardie because blueys can thrive on a diet of dog food for the protein component whereas dragons need to be fed live crickets.

Let us us know how you go :)

- - - Updated - - -

You could also consider getting a species that has natural distribution in your area as conditions will be suitable and care may be a little easier. But my suggestions are probably more for those thinking of a first reptile rather than yourself (although I'm not sure what other reptiles you have).

I wouldn't feed any skink dog or cat food regularly or on a long term basis .... WRONG KINDS of proteins and fats.....

Dragons like beardies need 80 -90 % insect protein only when young and growing , as adults they tend to switch to mostly greens , vegs and fruits .

I know people who have adult beardies and adult bluetongues who eat the same food , mostly greens, veg and fruit with a few adult beardie pellets daily + some bugs daily or every other day.

Wriggles the Water Skink was taking softened juvenile beardie and vetafarm lizard pellets mixed with grated carrot and sweet potato and processed peas +a mix of silkworms , mealworms (lavae, pupae and beetles) and 1/3 - 2/3 sized crickets daily.

Last edited:
I wouldn't feed any skink dog or cat food regularly or on a long term basis ....
OK, that's your choice. Some people who keep and breed blueys do feed them dog food and have been for 20+ years with no issues. So I will take their advice given to me and choose to feed dog food too.

I wouldn't feed any skink dog or cat food regularly or on a long term basis .... WRONG KINDS of proteins and fats.....

Dragons like beardies need 80 -90 % insect protein only when young and growing , as adults they tend to switch to mostly greens , vegs and fruits .

I know people who have adult beardies and adult bluetongues who eat the same food , mostly greens, veg and fruit with a few adult beardie pellets daily + some bugs daily or every other day.

Wriggles the Water Skink was taking softened juvenile beardie and vetafarm lizard pellets mixed with grated carrot and sweet potato and processed peas +a mix of silkworms , mealworms (lavae, pupae and beetles) and 1/3 - 2/3 sized crickets daily.

Actually my BTS has been eating cat food for about 7 or 8 years of her life, with snails and apple also constituting her diet and she has been fine but I would agree that some brands aren't good for them.

Bearded Dragons, Blue Tongues, Ackies, Water Skinks, Shinglebacks, Pink Tongues, Pygmy Bearded Dragons are all good choices, or you could try a cunninghams skink. Or if you have a MASSIVE tank with lots of height and climbing spots and a huge tub or dish/pond of water for it to swim in try an eastern water dragon. Mine had lots of personality he would ride on your shoulder, come when called, eat from your hand, loved neck rubs, he was great pet but sadly we had to sell him because he outgrew his tank and at that time we did not have room to get a biggger one since i was in a unit. I wish i kept him as i could have a massive tank for him where i am now ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back