Bearded Dragon Enclosure colour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

damo77

Reaction score
I am about to paint the inside of my newly built enclosure. It will house a couple of beardies. One is a red x orange and the other is a white x lemon. They are both bubs hatched late last year. Question is will the colour of the inside of the enclosure make a difference to their colour and if so what would be the best colour to paint?
I was thinking of painting matt black to make them stand out but I am not sure if this will also encourage them to darken up in an attempt to match their surroundings.
Thanks in advance
Damian

good question...i have generally fouind their colour to depend on mood and temp but people may have other input

I would have to agree with Ben. Yoda seems to be very bright and light when he's just had a feed or been out for play time.
When l take him outside,he goes very dark... almost black. Not sure if this is because he's trying to absorb more sun or whether he is on high alert.
He also darkens up when the kids and dog stop playing "chasy" or follow the leader with him. I had a friend come over the other day and as soo as she enteed the room. Yoda went
almost black.. first time he's done that, first time this friend has been over and she's scared or reptiles. Maybe he sensed that

Cheers
Jane

(just my opinions)

I am about to paint the inside of my newly built enclosure. It will house a couple of beardies. One is a red x orange and the other is a white x lemon. They are both bubs hatched late last year. Question is will the colour of the inside of the enclosure make a difference to their colour and if so what would be the best colour to paint?
I was thinking of painting matt black to make them stand out but I am not sure if this will also encourage them to darken up in an attempt to match their surroundings.
Thanks in advance
Damian

I'm sorry to burst your bubble on this Damian, but it's not the colour of the enclosure you should be concerned about here... The fact that you want to house two dragons together concerns me (and will concern your dragons as well)...
At the end of the day, will it matter what colour the inside of the enclosure is, when you find one of your dragons missing toes, tail, and possibly it's life???
There is a very small number of people who have their animals together, it is very low odds that it will remain "okay" for the dragons' entire lives... Is it worth the risk?

I'm sorry to burst your bubble on this Damian, but it's not the colour of the enclosure you should be concerned about here... The fact that you want to house two dragons together concerns me (and will concern your dragons as well)...
At the end of the day, will it matter what colour the inside of the enclosure is, when you find one of your dragons missing toes, tail, and possibly it's life???
There is a very small number of people who have their animals together, it is very low odds that it will remain "okay" for the dragons' entire lives... Is it worth the risk?

6ft x 2&1/2ft x 2ft enclosure that is set up as 2 mirror image 3 ft enclosures with a removable divider down the middle and basking spots and uv at either end. Slightest sign of trouble and the divider goes in which returns me to my original question which JPN and ajandj have been kind enough to reply too.
Thanks guys
Cheers
Damian

That was such an interesting question... hey! if you paint them half and half and do end up seperating them you could conduct your own experiment!!! and that set up sounds awesome!
and good luck with your babies :D

Bec

beardies do best in white enclosures, increases the ambient light levels within the enclosure which help stimulate the beardies aiding appetite and general activity levels

well i have recently gotten 2 little baby bearded from the same clutch and i was told they would be fine together, and as it is, they sleep together, eat together, they dont fight.. no parts are missing so they are doing great together.

tick tock tick tock tick tock... housing beardies together is like waiting for a time bomb to go off. You need to have a massive enclosure so they can basically live their lves apart.
I know of people who have housed 2 beardies together for years and one day, out of the blue.. they have an injured beardie because one desided that he/she was going to be in
a bad mood

i know that having 2 males together would be bad and could see that a male and female could be bad but what about 2 females? not that i am looking to get another one in the near future - just curious...?

I have seen completely unrelated beardies together with other lizards as well living harmoniously in one tank, sleeping on top of each other with never a problem and i have seen sibblings fight each other.....it could go either way really...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back