Bearded Dragon Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xAshx

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

For the first time ever since owning beardies, as pets... I have a silkie baby, well he is about 6 months old now, first he isn't growing... he eats like a champ on both dusted woodies (3 times a day), and he gets finely chopped veggies every 2-3 days. He never leaves anything when he is fed... He has also just developed tail rot, its not from shed I don't think because he is bathed and moisturised daily and I make sure each day there is no old shed anywhere on his body because I was warned they are bad shedders. Enclosure is 4ft, basking temp of 38.. Even the vet said he is unsure what has caused it, as he is housed alone with minimal furniture in his enclosure so nothing he can get stuck under and nothing that can fall on him. He is on marine carpet that gets changed and washed every 2 days so he is kept very clean... He is on antibiotics, a special wash for his daily bath... I saw the vet again today, as the tail isn't getting better. And he is stumped on what to do, because even though he is healthy otherwise, he is not sure his size will handle anaesthetic to amputate.. He's apparently one of the best reptile vets in my area (Newcastle/Lake Mac region)...So Im not sure what else to do.. He is still on antibiotics and Im still using the wash... I don't know what else to do, I don't have an issue with trying another vet (currently going to Sugarloaf), Ive never encountered this with any of my beardies over the years. But this is my first silkie, and Ive been told by the vet they can come with all kinds of problems not just shed issues..
Thanks heaps

Scale rot (if that's what it is) is usually associated with wet or unhygienic conditions. It particularly effects species that naturally live in dry environments. I don't know how people are meant to keep silk back Bearded Dragons but I believe that the creams and baths may be a contributing factor to its skin issues. I remember years ago using a twice daily application of betadine and silvazine dabbed on the sores, while keeping the lizards in dry, warm, quarantine type enclosures. After a few sheds the sores cleared up.

Do you have photos?

Ill upload the photos.... Im bathing/moisturising as per what the breeder said & the vet said too... so ill grab the pics and put them up here...

I bath my silkie daily and he's never had any issues, but don't use any cream except 100% additive free Aloe Vera and HerpaShed, otherwise it can cause issues. My silkie is growing incredibly fast, have no idea why. Healthy as a horse. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back