Bearded Dragon Keeps Locks Herself Away in her Hide

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Colbert

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my bearded dragon goes into her hide and pushes the substrate to completely block the entrance and she will stay in there for weeks without food and water.

Is this normal behaviour?

Regards Rob

It's winter, she's trying to hibernate (cue someone saying the correct term and say it's 'brumation', a long and complex argument not really relevant here).

If you keep them warm some will stay up all winter, others will assume it's going to get cold and try to dig in and go dormant like they would in a cold natural place. Depending on race, location and weather, it is common natural behaviour for them to literally not move for up to a few months during winter.

It's winter, she's trying to hibernate (cue someone saying the correct term and say it's 'brumation', a long and complex argument not really relevant here).

If you keep them warm some will stay up all winter, others will assume it's going to get cold and try to dig in and go dormant like they would in a cold natural place. Depending on race, location and weather, it is common natural behaviour for them to literally not move for up to a few months during winter.

Hi Sdaji, thank you again for answering my questions in such a simple but very informative way. I really enjoy reading all your answers on the forum and the deep knowledge you impart.

Thank you

If she's under 12 months old , I'd be discouraging this. Best that the young dragons don't brumate during the first winter. They don't don't have the fat reserves and are better off being kept warm and active over their first winter so they can continue to grow and develop.

It's not necessary for a bearded dragon to brumate at all if it's a companion pet .

I believe breeders like to cool down their adult dragons over winter and induce brumation so their breeding males and females are at simultaneous peak fertility in spring, and it also is believed it "rests" them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back