beardie eating vege question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryuwx

Reaction score
Hi guys, got a question here, my beardie is about 3 and half month old now, he eats cricket everyday, i also offer a dish of bok choy and carrot finely chopped up in his enclosure every day, but he never touches it, everything is fine its just he doesnt eat vegetable, is it because he is still a baby?

I do place the dish around his basking spot as well, but he is still not interested, please give some advice, or he will eat vege when he gets older?

thank you.

I tried teasing him with carrot. He took it after A while now he loves the occasional carrot and celery cut with A peeler.

Try dandelion flowers or mustard flowers you find on the nature strip, they will take that as good as a cricket. My hatchings take that even before they start eating crickets, for most of them thats their first food.

carrots are not good everyday.
as mentioned above, try dandelion flowers and leaves. Here are some other great ideas
everyday things - dandelion flowers and leaves, carrot greens, beetroot greens, turnip greens, endive and mango
every other day things. nasturtium flowers and leaves, rose petals, pansy flowers, impatient flowers, lavander, parsley, rocket
bok choy, choy sum, pak choy, button squash, zuccini flowers, geranium flowers and leaves, cress, parsley, rosemary...
enough of an idea? cause l have more :D

i found that Yoda wouldn't eat it in the begining but then i started to add just a little puree apple for a couple of days and now (no apple) he is hooked. i feed about 6 - 8 different things daily (well, actually the kids pick his dinner from the "beardie" friendly garden we planted
He loves this that are red.. capsicum and berrys (not too often with the berries tho).

also as above, there is a food list that is my bible but if you need any other ideas, just let me know.

That list is A keeper thanks AJANDJ

Try dandelion flowers or mustard flowers you find on the nature strip, they will take that as good as a cricket. My hatchings take that even before they start eating crickets, for most of them thats their first food.
What do mustard flowers look like? I feed the dandelion which is a yellow flower weed right?

What do mustard flowers look like? I feed the dandelion which is a yellow flower weed right?
Yeah my beardies love them, just google "mustard flower" and look at the images. I live in Vic and they are all over the place and they should be around your place, just take a walk you'll find some.

also try not giving him the crix at the same time or before, more inclined to eat veges if he thinks that all there is :)

with a baby beardie, they need more protein (crickets) than they do veg. I think it's 20% veg against 80 % protein.. but by adulthood, it switches to 80% veg and 20% protein.

At 4 months, Yoda was eating 30 small crickets in the morning and 30 in the arvo.. and about 2 tablespoons veg. Just make sure the crickets are no larger than the space between beardies eyes and that you don't leave crickets in the enclosure uneaten

Also, be careful of taking flowers and stuff from other peoples lawns or even the park as they may use chemicals which could harn your beardie

thank you guys, i will try some dandelion flower and leaves later, should i put a bit of orange juice in the salad bowl to make it smell better?

I am having the very same issue with my hatchie. She's smashing the crickets daily... but I am yet to even see her eat any greens at all. I've tried wiggling them in front of her but I'm pretty sure she just doesn't know that its food.

Anyone have any creative ideas of how to get her started?

Chuck a few mealies or de-legged crix in the bowl with the vegies..gets em every time.

I agree. A little bit of live food in with the veggies and before long you should not need the live food to entice them.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back