Beardie reproduction/brumation Q's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuKL7

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just wondering a few things about my beardies. Firstly I was wondering if reproduction is a time consuming task? I have a semi-busy lifestyle and will have about one day a week for maintenance. Will caring for eggs and raising hatchlings be a tedious task?

Currently I have two female bearded dragons and they are both roughly 4 years old, I have been in care for them for roughly one year and would like to try something different. Last year one of them produced 1 unfertilised egg which was quite exciting even though it was not alive, therefore i want to try the real deal. If I do go along with getting a male for them would the hatchlings be hard to sell? Don't get me wrong here. I am not after the money if I was to sell them it would be on the cheapest side, it would only go towards their food electricity etc. I do want to care for the hatchlings but if I cannot get rid of them then I don't know what to do with so many.

With that aside, I do want to get them to brumate this year. I want to experience something difference and it is natural for them after all. I have heard it is not necessary unless you are breeding but like I said I would love the experience. If anyone has tips on cooling beardies feel free to post them up too please.

Thanks in advance,
Nut

Caring for the eggs and then the hatchlings is time consuming..you do need to keep monitoring the eggs in the incubator, for the temps and humidity etc,,
The hatchlings need to be fed a few times each day,,and given spray drinks..the first few weeks are important, they can go downhill so fast when they are so little.
Hatchlings are not too hard to sell, but be prepared for alot of eggs. They can lay a few clutches from the one mating..
If you dont have the time, i dont recommend it.

Thanks for replying... What time do they usually hatch? Depending on that time I may have a lot of free time on my hands :)

Its around 60 days. There is alot of info online if you look it up before you start :)
Depending on when they have mated, its about 3months later you will have babies.
Let them brumate until they are ready to wake, a few months they will sleep for..

Last edited:
another thing to take into consideration is housing for the hatchies, its recommended that you keep no more than 5 per cage, and if you cant keep up with feeding, or provide that space, toes and tails WILL go missing,...no one wants to pay for mangled beardies, theyre generally given away for free.
THe hatchies will also need UVB lights, which are rather exy, but very important for them, especially when theyre growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back