Beardie retained shed

Discussion in 'Australian Lizards and Monitors' started by pharskie, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pharskie

pharskie Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a noob with beardie and have recently acquired one from someone who no longer has time to care for him. He has a fair amount of retained shed and I'm pretty worried. Have been giving baths that seem to be helping but want to know what else I can do. In guessing his humidity has been incorrectly managed and have fixed this issue. Is there anything else that might have caused this.

2. animal805

animal805 Well-Known Member

Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia
    How have you fixed this issue. Humidity is not good for beardies, they need it dry.

3. pharskie

I put a larger water dish in that he can soak in if he wants. Took him to the vets today and it's. Lear he hasn't been looked after very well. He is calcium deficient, severely dehydrated and has ulcers in his mouth. Got him on antibiotics as well as saline injections under the skin. Going to get him feeling better then give him a calcium shot to get him back to tip top health. Been keeping a mixture of wombaroo mince meat calcium and vitamin in a forex dish that he has been slowly devouring

4. Revell13

Revell13 Suspended Banned

Sounds exactly like the centralian I picked up from a friend of my dads, 3 year old yellow phase beardie who had never had a UVB or calcium additives, retained a lot of shed skin and was basically in pretty bad shape. Ive bumped his temps up (they had him sitting with a 30•C basking spot, its now 44•C) he gets calcium suppliments every second feed, he's under a 10.0 UVB and in just a few weeks his mobility has improved, as has his appetite and colour. +1 on the comment above, beardies like it DRY.

5. moussaka

moussaka Active Member

Poor little guy, good luck on getting him back into shape. :)

6. pharskie

[​IMG] that's what he looked like the day i picked him up

[​IMG] this was his enclosure :(

[​IMG] this is what I have managed to do with his living space. Is there anything else people can suggest I should add for him? I'm waiting for a digital thermometer/hydrometer to arrive, and in the next week or two will mount a rock effect background. (discovered these amazing fish tank fake rock rubber formed backgrounds that look so good)

Also that light in his enclosure from when I picked him up was a simple energy saver.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.