Beardies - Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stretch

Reaction score
Tomorrow I pick up a pair of Bearded dragons (Vitti's). I am very excited as these are my all time favourite lizard. I used to have barbatas way back when I had a lizard pit in SA and am absoutely thrilled to be getting some!

I have rather large wardrobe that I am going to convert to a beardie mansion, but that will take a couple of months (To save up for the plexiglass!) but I had a brain wave this evening in regards to their temp home and want the opinion of my fav people.

I have TV entertainment unit. There is a section that has a base shelf and a shelf halfway up. This section is used for storing videos and cds. It has a glass front. I figured I have remove the shlef (it sits on the little black pegs so easy to do) and install the UV and basking light in the top. There will be enough height to stick in a few good climbing and basking logs, easy to clean due to the non absorbent material that it is made from (Something like melamine) and a secure door (Once I attach the lock to prevent kiddies getting to it!)

The only down side I can see is that there is a tiny gap around the glass door. Now given that these are not snakes, I cannot forsee and escaping on behalf of the lizards, but heat may escape.

It is wood though, so should retain a fair amount of heat.

What do you guys think?

congrats on the new beardies. :D

I have had my easterns for about 2weeks and they're great :!:
how big are the gaps in your enclosure?

i had gaps in the enclosure for my beardies but when i got them they were smaller that i expected so i kept them in a plastic storage container.

The gaps are perfect for a snake to get out, but I don't think the beardies can. Though I am not exactly sure how big they are!!! If for some reason they are tiny tiny tiny, then I have plastic critter cages that they can go in.

Got any piccies of your beardies??

Hey Sue,I got 4 little beardies a couple of weeks ago.
If you are getting hatchlings the same size as mine then the plastic tubs are probably the way to go for a couple of months.
It's a lot easier to feed them and make sure they are eating.
I hope to take some pics soon..they are just the cutest little things.I can't wait until they get big enough that I can tell them apart.

Just found out their birthdate....13th Jan! So they are probably itty bitty.
They would not be able to get out, but maybe I will just keep them in one of the critter containers.

Gives me a bit extra time to get the lighting setup done too!! It was going to be a busy day tomorrow!

I hope I only come home with two....Luckily money is tight so forking out for more is really not an option! These ones are $30 each which is good, but two is def my limitm cannot afford anything more than that!!

Canberra is where I got them from. He is a nice guy. Has quite a few lizards and a gorgeous Bredl aswell.

I have my two adroable hatchlings. They are called Rhett and Scarlett (hehehehe) although I have no idea if they are a boy and girl. One is definately larger than the other, so it is possible I have one of each, but we won't know for a couple of months yet. I am not fussed either way. Just very happy to have them at last!

The cutest thing was watching the seller show me feeding time. About 20 odd hatchlings in an aquarium and he just banged an egg carton of crickets into the tank. crickets and hatclings going in every direction! Funniest thing I have seen in a while.

I got to meet mum and dad too. Gorgeous looking beardies in the middle of a shed. Mum has great markings and Dad was a sweetheart.

These are the smallest I have ever had. When I had my previous beardies they were juvvies to adults.

Anyhow, I have piccies in the gallery already!

Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back