• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Pythons and Snakes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Beginner! After A young Milk Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcthorne

Reaction score
Im a beginner at snake keeping, but am excited to purchasing a snake.

I have done alot of research and decided that a milk snake is my best bet.

If any one can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.

Thank You.
Kate..

try petlink :D, but incase this is not a gee-up , they are illegal in this country

Last edited:
Hey,

Milksnakes are illegal in Australia but we have heaps of really fantastic pythons to keep anyway! Search the term Bredli, Murray Darling, Coastal Carpet, Childrens, spotted, and stimsons python in here and you'll get lots of information on some of our easier beginner snakes!

Dear Kate,

Welcome!

The other comments are correct. In Australia only Australian species can be kept and most must be kept on licence. You will need to contact your local state authority to find out about licensing and which species can be kept.

Probably the closest animal to a milk snake that can be kept in Australia is a Children's python.

You may wish to have a look at http://herptrader.com.au which is a good place to source your animals from. Looking through the ads you will get a feel for what is available, what you can expect to pay etc.

good luck __daavid

Sorry... didn't mean for my reply to sound rude :oops:

But yep, Clairebear and herptrader have given you some great advice :D

who's to say she is even in Australia?
she never did...
if shes not then a milk snake would be a good start

who's to say she is even in Australia?
she never did...
if shes not then a milk snake would be a good start

that may be true, but in her original post her state is shown as Victoria.
And as this is an Australian site with the majority Australian members it would seem safe to assume that might be the case.

It would make it much easier for replies from Australian members to posts from overseas members if they had their location in their profiles or in their signature (which a lot don't seem to do) so there would be no confusion over allowed species etc.

Last edited:
i think you need to do a bit more research

I think the licensing is probably the hardest thing to get information on, there isn't a great deal of clear information around explicitly stating to new keepers "You need a license to keep reptiles". Generally this information is available on DSE NPWS sites which you will only visit once you've determined that a license is required.

I think particularly in NSW this is where we are falling short in the hobby, people go to Wild Expo or the Frog and Reptile Expo and are surprised when they hear that you can keep reptiles.

Rather then pushing the argument of commercial production/reptiles in pet stores lets take a first step of ALL pet stores interested in selling reptile accessories printing off copies of license applications and details to hand out to interested shoppers, the same should be done in reptile sections of Zoos.

End Rant :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back