Beginner questions about owning a snake, and the beauty of the Woma python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

choosy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having thought about owning a snake over the years I recently had an encounter and hold of a Woma python. Wow, so beautiful and friendly! Also soft and interesting just to hold and look at.

Researching can only tell you so much but holding one was very eye opening. I know not all snakes are by nature so docile, and that this one was of course the most use to being around people as a demonstration snake. A super star of the sorts. But I was really blown away by the Woma.

I initially thought about getting a smaller snake, Childrens Pythong / Pygmy Python etc but I found with a kind nature larger snakes are actually mindblowingly beautiful.

I was wondering if you guys had any advice for a person considering buying a snake. I know they are a big commitment as the live up to 40 years + but they seem very interesting and beautiful creatures.

I live in Brisbane, Queensland and was also wondering if you guys know of a great breeder to talk to and potentially purchase a snake from. I know there is online stores but I'd love to know that there is someone I can get advice from and go back with questions.

One concern as someone new considering a snake is of course owning an aggressively natured snake, which would be a bit sad. But I guess that one just has to see and hope for the best as each snake and animal is unique. When I met the Woma I was just blown away with how pleasant it was. Instead of just watching it in it's enclosure you just want to pick it up and hold it!

Well thanks for reading and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

- choosy

I am new to all of this too Choosy. I have had two woma's for nearly two months now and like you said they are absolutely amazing creatures.

Unfortunately one of mine was sick when I got him and he had to go to the vet and got messed around with a lot before he could settle in so now they are both a bit defensive (I don't think they are aggressive just afraid). So they are now being left alone to settle in and get comfortable for a while before I try handling them again.

Having said that I still get to sit and watch them for literally hours because they are so active and curious! whenever we come into the room Cinnamon comes right up to the glass and cruises around looking at us! compared to our carpet python they are so much more active and fun just to sit and watch.

Welcome to APS! :)
I would probably recommend your other choice as a first snake. A children's, spotted or stimson's are good first snakes, and are a lot smaller than other pythons. If you are after a larger snake, virtually any of the morelia species is fine. Personally I would recommend Murray Darlings, but that's my own preference.
You are correct, all snakes are individual in their behaviour. Some tolerate being handled, some never do, although most will get to the point of being ok with it.

Welcome to the site!
I don't see anything wrong with you choosing a Woma as a first snake, if it is a species you are passionate about and can provide for financially then why not. BUT, research is the key, watch YouTube videos, read as many care sheets as you can and don't be afraid to ask questions. They aren't a particularly 'difficult' species to care for, but they aren't your standered hardy Antaresia.

A good way to give a snake the best chance of being the docile/friendly snake you want, is to get it while very young, hatchling age. Consistent and gentle handling should be introduced after it settles in, also, when choosing one whether from a pet store or breeder (I'd recommend a breeder as they can usually give you more info!), pick one that is already somewhat 'relaxed', not the one trying to knaw off your fingers, an aggressive first snake can really put people off sometimes.
Hope this helped! Good luck!

Thanks!
Will continue my research and I'm really grateful for everyone's advice.

Cheers,

choosy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back