Beginner Snake

Discussion in 'General Reptile Discussion' started by Aaliyah, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Aaliyah

Aaliyah New Member

Hi everyone, I have been looking at getting a snake for a while now, but having trouble finding a small beginner snake. I live in Ipswich and have been doing a lot of research but I am having a hard time finding Australian sites. I was looking at getting a Pygmy python but the are a bit more expensive, so I hoping you would have some good recommendations.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  2. Sdaji

Sdaji APS Veteran APS Veteran

Any of the Children's Pythons (Antaresia) would be ideal. The size difference is marginal between them. They come in a range of colours and patterns these days :)

Think about if you want to start with an adult or a baby, decide what type you like, and have a look at what's available :)

3. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

May i ask what prices you saw for the pygmy pythons? I was of belief they are around the 300 mark, 400 for exceptional looking individuals

If you want the snake to stay small, you should definitely look at any of the 3 main antaresia species, stimsons, childrens, spotted --infact sdaji has some beatiful marbles, but maybe out of price range

or you can get a young carpet and watch it grow from a small string to a big fella

CF Constrictor and cagey like this.
  4. Aaliyah

Aaliyah New Member

Thank you for the advice.

5. adderboy

adderboy Active Member

While I agree with the advice you've received, I would add that a pygmy python is not an ideal first snake. Young ones in particular can be tricky feeders, something a beginner might struggle with. You're much better off with the other antaresias as mentioned.

CF Constrictor and Sdaji like this.
  6. Susannah

Susannah Not so new Member

I love my Stimson's Python - I got him for my midlife crisis.
    I've had him over 2 years now and I am only regretting waiting so long to get him.
    They're small, inquisitive, yet docile. Such a nice temperament, good with being handled and kids, often cruises around his tank or just sits happily under or on his hide/rock. He was $400, but to be honest I didn't shop around for prices.

7. Aaliyah

Aaliyah New Member

Ok thanks guys for the advice.