Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been apart of a similar method at a wildlife park I worked at, the constant exposure to a high number of people habituated most of our animals to the proximity and even contact with the public (walk through macropods and aviaries being the simplest examples). I have however seen it also have the opposite effect, several cases from abandonment issues. Stress doesn't always manifest itself in external signals, often internal reactions (hormones) are occurring that can't be visually determined. Again I haven't specifically conditioned a monitor so some of my opinions may not be applicable in relation to monitors.

Thanks for your thoughts crocdiledan im not trying to encourage everyone to make theyr reptile a lap pet, it takes a long time to make the animal comfortable with its life, you cant just decide one day to take them to a party with you:).. im monitoring "Dino" pretty closely and will give him more space at the first sign of stress.. Ill keep you guys updated on how this is working out in the future
My signs of stress would be..
General attitude in his enclosure
Fading/ Colouring
not feeding
hiding all the time
not wanting to bath still
being defensive to the human hand or anything large moves near it

Not sure how to tell if there is a hormone issue???

my first monitor was a lacey , I wouldn't want him any other way . we have an understanding if I don't try and catch him , he wont try to tear me apart . I can walk into his enclosure while his basking and his fine , but come food time all bets are off .

firstly he was still warm hed been out for 5 mins 30 in the room temp and his paver that was still 50 from the heat lamp plus the sun in the window anyway, he is just that calm now, second its not my only way of taming i treat him to warm baths with a toothbrush scrub because hes shedding etc if it makes them used to they'r environment and bigger things moving around them after time they see its no threat and even come towards you out of interest how isnt that a part of taming??.He wasnt a very calm one that you speak of either when i first got him hed hiss and ark up even if i walked up to his tank, now he'l just walk onto my hand in his enclosure if i want to pick him up..tank is 50 hot end 28 cool end got his own burrow he dug too
If it was my enclosure I would have more hides in there.

If it was my enclosure I would have more hides in there.
This is just a temp setup waiting for the glue to set on his bigger temp 5ft enclosure untill i move house in a month then its a full room partition:) I havnt bothered with more hides so far because his burrow is big enough that i cant see him in there. He prefers being able to see whats going on in the house he sleeps against the glass facing the TV
IMAG0172.jpgIMAG0173.jpg

In my experiences putting in more hides as a juvenile produces a more relaxed, well adjusted adult. Having a full grown monitor that is always on edge isn't fun, but this is my experiences and I don't claim to know everything so please keep us updated as he/she grows

Maybe monitors can be tamed more than people think hes responding the same as a lap dog shingleback I had years ago ..when I checked him today he was trying to get out the tank towards me. put my hand in he jumped on and hes been sitting on my hand watching me type etc for 30 mins so far. no point adding anymore to this thread for a week or 2 and give you guys a update vid

no one is questioning how "tame'' a monitor can become but it doesn't happen over night like you are making out and if a spencers hatchling is just sitting there for 30mins and not exploring/looking for somewhere to hide, I would be questioning what is wrong with it? all the behaviours you are describing suggests to me its cold, not ''tame''

Alright should I not tell people about my experiences on here?? its onviously a problem for you iv clearly stated his temperatures are fine isn't 50c hot enough for a juvi monitor im not going 60c at this age!!!
no one is questioning how "tame'' a monitor can become but it doesn't happen over night like you are making out and if a spencers hatchling is just sitting there for 30mins and not exploring/looking for somewhere to hide, I would be questioning what is wrong with it? all the behaviours you are describing suggests to me its cold, not ''tame''

If my monitor is warm, feeding , digging burrows, sleeping, isn't that a good sign. I think its a good he'd rather watch me through the glass than go in his burrow id have to clap in his face to make him scurry into his burrow?? tell me am I wrong because I care about the little dude paid 450 for him and im checking everything that ive been told. can you tell me is him being interested in me a bad thing and I don't get it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back