Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking this question on a reptile forum is a bit like asking what is the best car to go from A to B!
You are going to get every species known to man mentioned & have no better idea after the experience.

I'm not trying to knock the wind out of your sails but the best 1st snake for you is one that you like/want. It really is that simple.
Everyone will say this species is easy to keep & that one doesn't bite but in fact every snake has the potential to bite & I don't think any of them are particularly difficult once you establish the basic husbandry rules.
Read lots of books, look at as many species & colour morphs as you can to help you decide. Don't be pushed into anything based on what another keeper tells you & enjoy the ride. (The first one is just the start lol)

Asking this question on a reptile forum is a bit like asking what is the best car to go from A to B!
You are going to get every species known to man mentioned & have no better idea after the experience.

I'm not trying to knock the wind out of your sails but the best 1st snake for you is one that you like/want. It really is that simple.
Everyone will say this species is easy to keep & that one doesn't bite but in fact every snake has the potential to bite & I don't think any of them are particularly difficult once you establish the basic husbandry rules.
Read lots of books, look at as many species & colour morphs as you can to help you decide. Don't be pushed into anything based on what another keeper tells you & enjoy the ride. (The first one is just the start lol)

Thank you[emoji216]

^this

I'd advise to decide what size works for you and then choose from the snakes that average that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although i agree with above comments and i am only new to this hobbie but if you want something that is typically less agressive and not get to large i think you cant go past a stimsons python they are great i have one and she is the most beautiful natured snake. So calm and inquisitive

Although i agree with above comments and i am only new to this hobbie but if you want something that is typically less agressive and not get to large i think you cant go past a stimsons python they are great i have one and she is the most beautiful natured snake. So calm and inquisitive

Thank you[emoji216] I have been looking at those to just now lol, some nice colours as well, now to find a reputable breeder

As has been well put above, look around, research a lot, and get whatever you decide is right. If size is an issue, any antaresia species will be fine, children's, Stimson or spotted python.

If you don't mind a bit of extra size carpet pythons are great snakes, and they have a bigger variety of morphs, colours and patterns compared to womas and antaresia.

If you don't mind a bit of extra size carpet pythons are great snakes, and they have a bigger variety of morphs, colours and patterns compared to womas and antaresia.

Size is a no factor unfortunately, my hubby is scared of snakes and if for any reason I need him to be able to take care of it it needs to be seen as not so bad after all, but thank you for your advice[emoji216]

Size is a no factor unfortunately, my hubby is scared of snakes and if for any reason I need him to be able to take care of it it needs to be seen as not so bad after all, but thank you for your advice[emoji216]
In that case, your best bet is the Antaresia group, with childreni, stimsoni, and maculosus being ideal beginner's choices. All three are available in a fairly wide range of colours and / or locality types these days to suit your preference. As Paul said earlier, with the correct enclosure conditions, most established pythons are pretty straight forward husbandry wise

Imo you can never go wrong with a bredli for a first snake.. however the cam get past the 2m mark

One thing to think about is at it grows so will your husbands confidence around the animal... I personally would never get a stimmi or children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back